Launch msg(): socket not connected

Reaction score
Can't Login

My Mac is issued by my school, so I'd recently took it in for tune up for the next school session. Upon getting it back, I found that I couldn't access my user on the computer. I figured that my password was reset during the tune up process, so I logged in as an admin to change it. When I got to the account in Users & Groups in System Preferences, the option to change the account password wasn't there, so I checked "reset password with apple id" and logged out to try it. I entered the wrong password 3 times and then reset my password, but when I tried to log in that didn't work for some reason. I checked back with my school to see if there was anything they could do, and they said I could come in on Monday. I decided I'd keep trying things out myself. I'd tried reseting the password in other various ways (at startup by pressing command + R then going to terminal...etc) but none of the methods worked, so I rebooted the Mac and tried getting in using this method (second one). When I had entered everything in I got this message: Launch msg(): socket not connected
What does it mean?

(I have a Mac Air running Lion)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.