iphone camera not working?

Reaction score
I had an issue a week ago where when I'd try to take a photo it would freeze and sometimes turn black. About two days later the camera stopped working all together. It would just show a black screen. Any apps that would use the camera also showed a black screen.

I have an iphone 5 and it's only about 3 months old. I did a bit of googling and it told me to reset the iphone and not install a backup because it was a hardware issue and the backup would just reinstall the hardware issue.

I just did the reset and the camera is still not working.

Is there anyway to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iPhone 5 should still be under warranty. Return it to Apple or from where you purchased it and ask for a new unit. If the camera is defective there's no way for you to repair it anyway. Make sure you backup all your music, videos, and apps before returning the phone.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your iPhone 5 should still be under warranty. Return it to Apple or from where you purchased it and ask for a new unit. If the camera is defective there's no way for you to repair it anyway. Make sure you backup all your music, videos, and apps before returning the phone.

If I purchased it from tmobile can I go to apple and get a new one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have a 1 year warranty from Apple as long as it was purchased from an authorized Apple reseller - which t-mobile is.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can try the T-Mobile store but you might have better luck with the Apple store since they have to adhere to the warranty. T-Mobile might have you send the phone someplace else to have it be confirmed not working before they give you a new phone or what have you..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a T-Mobile subscriber and have returned defective phones to them on several occasions and they have always made it good. Since it's probably more convenient to return it to a T-Mobile store, that's what I would do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.