No Sound.

Reaction score
All of a sudden there is NO sound. :eek: i use a MacBookPro, OS 10.6.8. iTunes doesn't have its usual sound bar; the keyboard sign button is at full scale, but there is also a white negatory circle sign that appears beneath it. My Alarm Clock doesn't have sound. iTunes library has migrated into the Sleep Timer options of sound. Disk Utility hasn't solved any problems. Screensaver has a floating message that [none] it's not available for this version -- it's the version that's built in with 10.6.8 - i don't use 3rd party screensavers nor wallpaper: the ones MAC provides suit me just fine :) ... but i'd love to have sound - i need it for iTunes purchases, and yes, for My Alarm Clock! Any ideas, please? Thank you in advance ~ kind regards, jan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi how's it going ?

Go System Preferences/Sound/ and report back what 'Output' is selected (should be internal speakers 'built in' and check that you're not muted.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks so very much for your care and prompt reply! i've reached the end of my rope, so i've tied a knot and am hanging on....

Sound Effects/Output says: "No output devices found"

Yes, it ought to say built in, as i've never used external speakers. However, the greyed area below this brighter window which reads "Settings for the selected device - has another window below that: it's the volume bar
"output volume ...................X >> and the slider bar is all the way to the right. The Mute button is greyed out, and yes, it does have a check in the box :-(

There is no check in the box that says "Show volume in the menu bar."

Oh my --- how'd i get in this pickle? Any prongs available to help me get out of the pickle jar, so that my alarm clock and iTunes will sing again? Is there a way to fix this please? My magic wand is at the cleaners :) .. i'm grateful for your insights and help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
OP
C
Reaction score
Hello again, thank you for your reply.
I just want to check one thing...that you are looking at the 'Output' tab under the Sound Preferences and not the 'Sound Effects' tab ?

Also I don't have a lot of time at the mo but you could make a start here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Hi, and thanks so much: ~ yes, i was describing what i see under the Output Devices Tab
[System Preferences/Sound .. and i clicked the Tab Output Devices. i described the OUTPUT window display. That is the window that shows the bottom sound slider bar raised all the way to the right, but it's greyed out, and there's a check in the mute box. Thanks for generously sharing the info re Basic Mac OSX Troubleshooting - i'll follow those steps to a T tomorrow. kind regards ~ and ty!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have seen a few posts suggesting that this may fix it.

OP
C
Reaction score
It is possible you just need the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update. ;D

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update

That should fix your problem.

Hi applewithabite :) ~ i tried the update tonight, but alas, it had no effect at all on correcting any of the sound problems. Now Spotlight doesn't work either. Preview / png files are blank, but i can change them into pdfs and at least save the data. Pages[from iWorks09] has changed the docs to blank - yet reveals the kb size of the doc: but the doc is blank. Saving it as a different name - the icon turns black.

i'm wondering if the recent array of app updates [some prch'd apps update upon launch and come through automatically: AppStore purchases downloads them, but then there's a negatory circle over the icon in the Apps folder. :-( ] -- for updates, the system requirements for the new version are for 10.7.x and i've had to contact vendors/developers to get the correct version back for 10.6.8. i don't just trash a bad App, i use appzap to rid of it completely and reinstall it fresh with the links from the vendors. Perhaps things just got jostled about in failed updates w/10.7.x requirements.. i also ran software update after the restart, and it was for printer drivers.. Thanks so much ~ any ideas i'm certainly going to try. ill keep the post updated as i see others are having problems with losing sound also. TY kind regards ~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
During your earlier fault finding, had you tried creating a new user, then logging in to it to see if it resolved your problem? This can help identify the area of the problem. Do you use Time Machine, if so does it back up regularly? If so this gives you options to recover from your odd problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina, Mid 2012
Sorry to hear that.

Could you try and repair your disk permissions using the Disk Utility app.

Also, Do you take backups of your work? Time Machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.