Looking for a 'new' desktop, need suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1, PBG4 17", iBook G3(366 Indigo), iPad Air (16G), iPhone 4(8GB).
Okay, so long story short, I made a complete idiot mistake and killed my Dell desktop. Given that a power surge was involved, I'm pretty sure it'd need a complete rebuild, and since it was free, I don't think it's worth it (PC is from 2008).

So I'm looking for a Mac to replace it. The only problem is which.

Options:

#1: 17" iMac, the earliest Core2Duo version, running at 1.83GHz. $150.
Pros: Can run SL and Lion, and Windows if I wanted to.
Newer-ish

Cons: Intel GMA950
2GB RAM limit.
Anything breaks, I'm out of luck.

#2: PowerMac G5, one of the dual processor models (1.8, 2.0, or 2.3).
The one at the top of my price range ($170 max) that I'm looking at is a dual processor 2.0GHz with an nVidia 6600 (128MB RAM) from late 2005, with PCI-e slots, though there are some other dual processor models that are a little older.

Pros: It's a tank
If something (PSU, disc drive, hard drive) breaks, it's a lot easier to replace.
4-8GB of RAM
Decent GPU that can be upgraded
In the future, I can use the case for newer hardware

Cons:
G5, no support past Leopard, nor for newer software.
No Windows support

I don't plan on video encoding or other hardware intensive things like that. I want to browse, do some word processing, perhaps play a few games, watch YouTube videos, etc. My G4 PowerBook struggles with videos, and it's not the best with multiple tabs open either (RAM is already maxed at 2GB).

Which of these would suit my needs better? I like the idea of being able to put Windows on the iMac, but the general lack of repairability worries me, and I see a lot of iMacs from that era with display issues. Also, I had a GMA950 in a netbook and that thing was a pig. It had trouble rendering Facebook and allowing for smooth scrolling while doing it.

That being said, the G5 will have its own issues...

Thoughts? Also, if you recommend the G5, would one with Leopard or Tiger be better?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suppose price is important from what you listed above, but have you thought about maybe moving up to a 2009 or 2010 iMac instead? Discrete graphics, more memory, faster CPU, larger screen, etc. I'm not sure what a late 2009 21.5" iMac is currently selling for but it would certainly be a better choice than the 17" iMac with the GMA 950 or the PPC G5.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it would be a better choice, but those are out of my budget range. I'm not expecting top performance-just something that will work for a few years until I have more disposable income.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're going to purchase a new or used Macintosh computer...make it an Intel cpu model. Skip the G5. Gonna be a lot less expensive and easier to source OS install media for Intel models as well.

If you want to "play" with a G5 later on...fine. But go for an Intel model first.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know. It's just the concept of dual CPU's is so appealing. :D Also, I don't feel limited application-wise by my PBG4, apart from not having newer revisions of Firefox, just hardware wise.

What are the reliability chances on a 2006 iMac at this point? I don't want to buy it and have the display crap out a month later. Yeah, I could use an external one, but it'd look extremely stupid.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know. It's just the concept of dual CPU's is so appealing. :D Also, I don't feel limited application-wise by my PBG4, apart from not having newer revisions of Firefox, just hardware wise.

Believe me...a dual cpu Powermac G5 is nothing special. Plus...how many cpu's do you think a "core 2 duo" has??...TWO! That's what "core 2 duo" means (2 cpu's).;)

What are the reliability chances on a 2006 iMac at this point? I don't want to buy it and have the display crap out a month later.

Skip these early model Intel iMac's (the ones in the white plastic housing). They had pretty well known gpu/video problems. I see them for sale all the time on Craig's List...with video problems.

If I was you...I would get one of the first aluminum iMac's (mid-2007)!:) Something like this (link below). They can be:

- upgraded to 6gig of ram
- have dedicated graphics hardware
- can run the latest OS version (10.8 Mountain Lion)
- can be opened up moderately easily to do maintenance (cleaning)...and upgrading the HD.

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 20-Inch (Al) Specs (Mid-2007, MA876LL, iMac7,1, A1224, 2133) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me...a dual cpu Powermac G5 is nothing special. Plus...how many cpu's do you think a "core 2 duo" has??...TWO! That's what "core 2 duo" means (2 cpu's).;)

- Nick

I know that. :D I had a Pentium 4 with HT way before the first Core chip came out. That was also considered to be two CPU's. But two cores isn't as 'cool' as two physical CPU's. (not that 'cool' matters that much)

I will buy a nicer Mac in the future. But the cost of a good one is beyond me right now. So it's either a PM G5 or a used PC. And I do like the idea of being able to put newer hardware in that PM case in the future. In any case, I'll probably sell this PowerBook, since I'll have my trusty XP netbook back, and won't need another laptop (the iBook is my way of telling the NSA to buzz off, since it's never online).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that. :D That was But two cores isn't as 'cool' as two physical CPU's. (not that 'cool' matters that much).

It's hard to know what you know or what you don't know...if you don't say it.;) But since you were making a big deal out of a dual cpu PM G5 (2 cpu's)...it seemed confusing (in the same breath) why a core 2 duo computer (from a cpu standpoint)...wasn't just as good as a dual cpu PM G5. 2 cpu's = 2 cpu's.

What you're also not considering is...newer OS versions (OS 10.6 & higher) make MUCH better use of 2 cpu's. So a dual cpu PM G5 running OS 10.4 or 10.5 does not make as good a use of 2 cpu's as an Intel core 2 duo Mac running OS 10.6 or higher.

I would only recommend that someone get a Powermac G5...if...they had a large investment in a lot of older software that would not run on an Intel iMac.

"G5" based Mac computers were discontinued in the 2005-2006 timeframe. Making them at least 7 years old...and older. These things are old now...and you mentioned wanting to get a few more years of use out if it.

These older G5 computers are still good for:

- running older software (if you have older apps)
- mp3 player
- checking e-mail
- surfing the internet
- playing DVD movies

What they cannot do is run new OS versions & run new software...and by "new" I mean most apps. released in the last 5-6 years. Try going to the Apple Store (or iTunes)...and finding apps that will run on a Powermac G5!;)

I will buy a nicer Mac in the future. But the cost of a good one is beyond me right now. So it's either a PM G5 or a used PC.

You were considering getting a 2006 iMac. I suggested skipping these (due to video hardware issues with them)...and getting a slightly newer 2007 aluminum iMac. A 2007 iMac shouldn't cost too much more than a 2006 iMac.

And I do like the idea of being able to put newer hardware in that PM case in the future.

IMHO...this is a VERY poor reason to purchase a PM G5. And it would require a good bit of modification to get a 'Windows" motherboard to fit/mount inside a PM G5 case. PM G5 cases are not like "generic" Windows boxes that have the appropriate mounting areas for standard Windows motherboards.

Sure...not a bad project for someone who gets a PM G5 case for free...or for very cheap. But not something that should be a BIG driver of PM G5 purchase...for someone who actually wants to use it as a Macintosh computer.

You've asked for advice...and my recommendation for the best experience & best future use of the computer (next 3 years)...that you get a 2007 iMac (or you could get a core 2 duo based Mac-Mini).

If you can get a PM G5 for REALLY cheap...ok...this could be a ok purchase as well. If all you want to do is:

I don't plan on video encoding or other hardware intensive things like that. I want to browse, do some word processing, perhaps play a few games, watch YouTube videos, etc.

A PM G5 can do this. Assuming the "few games" are OLD games!;)

Just out of curiosity...how much were you expecting to pay for a dual cpu PM G5?...and what is your approx. maximum budget?

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own that first 20" Aluminum 2007 iMac with Santa Rosa Chipset, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2600 HD. When I bought it used 3 years ago it was $700 but the price has come way down. Very good machine and runs Mountain Lion Very fast. I have ML and Windows 7 on it and both run smooth as can be.

Also it's easier to disassemble if something does happen. Only thing special you need are Suction cups to pull off the glass in front. The rest is just some Torx screws. The 320 HD died and I installed a 1TB WD Black and it's been great every since. The Aluminum ones are the way to go if you can find one in your price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own that first 20" Aluminum 2007 iMac with Santa Rosa Chipset, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2600 HD. When I bought it used 3 years ago it was $700 but the price has come way down. Very good machine and runs Mountain Lion Very fast. I have ML and Windows 7 on it and both run smooth as can be.

Also it's easier to disassemble if something does happen. Only thing special you need are Suction cups to pull off the glass in front. The rest is just some Torx screws. The 320 HD died and I installed a 1TB WD Black and it's been great every since. The Aluminum ones are the way to go if you can find one in your price.

Exactly the same generation iMac I was recommending. The price definitely should be a good bit lower now for the OP.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick I was going to say the one you recommended but oh well. you did it for me.

Also from the Devs I have talked to 10.9 should still run on that machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OUCH, Mac2Sell is still saying $480 With 2GB Ram and the stock hard drive. Amazing. I am sure one can be found cheaper.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't finding any aluminum iMacs under the $170 limit I set, unfortunately.

Anyway, I went ahead and got a PMG5. 2003 1.8GHz dual processor model (wanted the option to put 8GB RAM in), 160GB HDD, fresh install of Leopard, in good condition, for $129.99 shipped. Since shipping on these things was averaging about $50, getting it for roughly $80 sounded fine to me.

As far as older software or being stuck with Leopard, well, you can't miss what you've never had! :D

The only thing I plan to do to it soon would be to swap out the graphics card for a later model 256MB Radeon 9600, and get an external drive to use Time Machine with. And since I spent more for this thing, I won't object to paying a decent amount for a copy of Leopard on eBay just in case.

Either way, I'm excited. And I have a friend with a lot of G5 parts that I can get in the future (later DP logic boards with CPU's, GPU's, etc-he's got parts from three of them).

Well, until I sell the G4, I'll have a G3, G4, and G5 all under one roof!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.