• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I find it interesting when someone says the iPhone is "boring." When questioned, what they generally actually mean is that it is so reliable and functional that they take it for granted.
It could also very well mean that the platform is so stagnant that you think you're stuck in 2007. It could also mean that people (such as myself) derive very little pleasure from using an iPhone relative to any other device on the market. It could mean that the design is so uninspired and, now, a photocopy of other platforms (I'm convinced Ive started the first iOS 7 meeting with "so, what are other people doing and how do we adapt this for iOS 7?") that it makes you wonder why people such as myself should be interested in such a device. ;)

I think it's safe to say that equating a bored response to the iPhone with perceptions of reliability is much too reductive (especially since most mobile platforms are just as reliable and functional).

C

chas_m

Having actually been with the platform since 2007, I can assure you and other users that there have been many, many changes (some QUITE fundamental) to the platform on a routine basis. Heck, remember when copy/paste came in?? :)

The fact that Apple hasn't changed the icon shapes or looks every year along the TREMENDOUS under-the-hood stuff they've done only makes things "boring" to the very, very shallow among us. It would be interesting to compare exactly what HAS changed in iOS each and every year since 2007 and compare that to Android with each major revision -- *minus* the constantly-changing "skins" and craplets the carriers stick on it -- and see which has changed the most, which has the most "change for change's sake, and which has the most reliable record of genuine improvement.

That would make an interesting article I'd enjoy reading, regardless of the findings. Someone at Ars Technica could do a bang-up job on that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been with IOS since maybe 2 months after the iPhone 3G came out. Friend bought it and hated it and ditched it for a old Windows ce phone. I laughed all the way home with my new iPhone 3G! :D

I also own a 1st Generation iPod Touch. I was amazed when that first came out.

Reaction score
Yes Android market is huge butI still think Android needs to work on several things to make it more secure and better for the users. Android is not as secure as iOS it should not allow low grade companies to use the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.