Macbook Pro won't boot

Reaction score
Last night I downloaded an update for iTunes but it would not install.

The screen froze so I turned off the computer and tried to reboot but it just gets stuck on the grey screen with the Apple logo (nothing else).

What has happened and can I do anything to restore it back to normal.

Incidentally the musical chord sounds when I turn it on.

Thanks in anticipation.

OP
K
Reaction score
Macbook Pro won't boot.

I forgot to mention, there is no spinning disc on the gray screen and I haven' got an installation disc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us which Mac you have and what version of OS X it's running? You stated that you have no installation disk so I assume that you might be running either Lion or Mountain Lion?

If that's correct, try booting your Mac by holding down the command + r keys as soon as you hear the bong sound. Keep holding them until you see the spinning circle. That procedure should get you into recovery. Select Utilities, Disk Utility, and verify your hard drive. Let us know the result.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I am running Mountain Lion
Here are the results of the verify tests.

MAC OS X BASE --- The volume Mac OS X Base system seems to be OK
120.03 FUJITSU MHW ------ The partition map seems to be OK
MAC HD --- The volume Mac HD seems to be OK

Does this help

OP
K
Reaction score
I also tried a new install of mountain lion.
It told me that the recovery HD was locked so I tried Mac HD install.
I was then directed to sign in to download from the app store

I was asked for Apple ID and Password and as I have only had the computer for a couple of weeks (bought it second hand on ebay already had mountain lion installed) I wasn't sure what to enter

I went into change password and Apple ID and changed both. They were verified by email from Apple.
When I entered them into the app store download boxes it stated that I hadn't used these before and wouldn't let me go any further.

I feel the urge to get the large hammer out now. I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you now have your own Apple ID, the app store requires you to purchase a copy of Mountain Lion. Only the original purchaser has the right to download it again. Anyway, it's only $19.99 and well worth the money.

As for your hard drive, it does appear that it's OK. I don't know why you had the original problem, but really, you should wipe it clean anyway and install fresh and therefore start clean. Always a good thing to do when buying used.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi
I am quite prepared to purchase but it doesn't seem to want me too.
When I enter my Apple ID and password this message appears -- "The Apple ID has not been used with the iTunes store, Please review your account information".

When I click on review nothing happens.

Regards Harry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you obtained your new Apple ID and entered a password, did you also place a credit card on file with Apple? You won't be able to make purchases from the Mac App Store or the iTunes Store if you don't have a way to pay on file with Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
No I didn't put a credit card number on file as I wasn't asked to. I couldn't get any further when it stated----- "The Apple ID has not been used with the iTunes store, Please review your account information".

How can I get my Mac up and running again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without a credit card on file with Apple, the Mac App Store won't let you download Mountain Lion. Take a look at this Apple Article: Getting Started with the Mac App Store

You're going to need to access your profile and then enter the credit card you wish to use to pay for purchases from the App Store. After you've done that, it should allow you to download Mountain Lion and charge the purchase to your credit card.

Another hint: Before installing Mountain Lion, make an installable flash drive so that in case you ever need to reinstall you won't have to download Mountain Lion again. You will need an 8 GB flash drive. Follow these instructions: LINK

OP
K
Reaction score
Regarding my earlier posts (yesterday) still having problems purchasing a fresh copy of Mountain Lion from the app store.

I have emailed Apple and even phoned them (they didn't have a solution but said they would phone me back). Still waiting, not really impressed with their service.

All I want to do is purchase a copy of ML and get my Mac up and running.
I have another Mac but the OS is only 10.5.8 and apparently to download you need 10.6 and above so I can't download the fresh OS to my second computer -- or so I am led to believe.

I have an Apple ID and password and have even registered my credit card with them.

Does anyone out there have a solution to this problem before the hammer comes out.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Harry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a hammer...Ask for and only speak to a supervisor...escalate from there to corporate e-mail....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please do not start a new thread. I've merged your two threads together here since the subject matter is the same.

As for the problem you're having, try contacting customer service direct. 1-800-MY-APPLE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.