LONG time Windows user, about to switch.

S

SSpiro

Hello.. Long time windows user, first windows machine was a 386/40MHz, 8MB of RAM. I've followed the MCSE tract (never took the tests), but have been in Windows IT most of my life..

I've sort of had it with low quality machines (although I usually make my own) and sub-par performance along with buggy OS's and software. Also sick of worrying about viruses, spyware, malware, and any other crap that people can think of creating.

I am in marketing now and have really gotten into graphic design, web site and flash design. I think its time! I need a new laptop as I've burned through 2 in the last 2 years (2 compaqs, and my wife's Toshiba is about to take a crap as well). I'm tired of 2-hour battery life, and poor quality constructed laptops..

I'm presently bidding on a new Powerbook G4 laptop.. 1.67 with 1GB of RAM, 15" upgraded. I'm excited about it, and hope I win the auction. I'll keep you guys up to date - this will be my first mac.. I know this thing can withstand whatever I put it through, and the 5.5 hour battery life will be more then enough to keep me happy during my travels.

Thanks for the great site!

OP
M

MJGUK

Good luck!

I've had an iBook for about a year now, or round about that time.
I'm really pleased with it, in fact my friend is currently looking at getting himself a new laptop for Uni, I suggested he get an iBook or Powerbook and put Linux on it......he is a Linux fan :p I don't think I'll convince him to run with OS X but maybe I can press for a duel boot situation :D

OP
S

SSpiro

I'm a uni fax as well. Didn't know these were dual-bootable?

I knew that Darwin was based on BSD.. but realize that they could be dual-booted? Interesting..

OP
M

MJGUK

SSpiro said:
I'm a uni fax as well. Didn't know these were dual-bootable?

I knew that Darwin was based on BSD.. but realize that they could be dual-booted? Interesting..
To be honest my knowledge of Unix and hence Linux and OS X is fairly (if not very) limited. But as far as I understand it, OS X is coded under Unix, as is Linux and from what I hear, it is therefore possible to run a Dual Boot of OS X and a Linux flavor. I could be wrong, but just what I was thinking/have heard.

Certainly I've heard of people running Linux on Apple Machines, infact I've seen it, so that atleast must be possible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, you can run linux on a Mac. I like Ubuntu and there is Yellow Dog also.

Reaction score
But dude, OS X is basically a Unix system! Belive me, if I had not played with gentoo a couple of years back, I would have been totally flamed by the switch to my mac. Thanks to my linux experience, I found the OSX aqua interface to be very familiar in structure.
OSX is a kick-*** OS. No linux distro can beat it out-of-the-box. But if you like playing a lot with your distro, you can make it look pretty nice, i admit. But I like to engage in more productive work, u see :p .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
yogi said:
But dude, OS X is basically a Unix system! Belive me, if I had not played with gentoo a couple of years back, I would have been totally flamed by the switch to my mac. Thanks to my linux experience, I found the OSX aqua interface to be very familiar in structure.
OSX is a kick-*** OS. No linux distro can beat it out-of-the-box. But if you like playing a lot with your distro, you can make it look pretty nice, i admit. But I like to engage in more productive work, u see :p .

I agree. Using Linux before OS X made things a lot more understandable for me.

FYI, Novell's Linux Desktop 10 is coming out soon. While it is not quite as polished as OS X, it is probably the best Linux distro out there. If you are interested, there are some video demo's of it here. It's very COOL!
http://cluster.sys.oakland.edu/test/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.