imessage wont work properly

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im currently travelling and I recently bought a macbook air (its my 2nd mac so i know how mac works).

I have used iMessage with local friends from belgium and it works all as it should: i enter their phone number and the number stays green and im chatting with them.

Now while travelling, i got some foreign numbers from UK and USA and ... When i enter these number with landcode or without, the number just stays red. I could add a number with their apple ID email, but why does it work with local people from belgium and not with the other numbers i get while travelling? This is very frustrating..

Hope someone can help me with this.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. Firstly if a message goes green it's gone as an SMS, blue if it's an iMessage.

Secondly, they have to have the phone number you're using associated with iMessage. This happens automatically on phones because it's the 'built-in' number but on other devices associated with the account you need to ensure the number is listed under the iMessage Send & Receive list.

The easiest way is for them to send you a message first and for you to add that to their contact. That way you can be sure the number is correct

OP
J
Reaction score
OK. Firstly if a message goes green it's gone as an SMS, blue if it's an iMessage.

Secondly, they have to have the phone number you're using associated with iMessage. This happens automatically on phones because it's the 'built-in' number but on other devices associated with the account you need to ensure the number is listed under the iMessage Send & Receive list.

The easiest way is for them to send you a message first and for you to add that to their contact. That way you can be sure the number is correct

There is no chance getting it sorted out myself? Its actually more a surprise that I want to send her. She would never expect that i would send her a message to her local phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
To which devices are you try to send from and to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's like sending a letter. You have to know the address.

In this case iMessage needs to be switched on and the number and email address must be requested against it for you to send from a device that doesn't have a phone number.

If you've tried to send an iMessage to her number and it's not working then chances are she doesn't have iMessage configured in that way or at all. i.e. no address you can send to

OP
J
Reaction score
It's like sending a letter. You have to know the address.

In this case iMessage needs to be switched on and the number and email address must be requested against it for you to send from a device that doesn't have a phone number.

If you've tried to send an iMessage to her number and it's not working then chances are she doesn't have iMessage configured in that way or at all. i.e. no address you can send to

I dont understand how this is possible because I have send imessages already via only mobile number to several friends of mine from back home. So what is the difference between these peoples connection to iMessage?

And the people that im trying to text have imessage because thats almost the only thing theyre using. So weird...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure I can put this any other way.

This is down to how the recipients phone is setup. If iMessage is not switched on or configured correctly you will not be able to send to them.

Whether you can send to others has nothing to do with it, you and they must be configured for iMessage ok. However if this particular recipient isn't setup correctly you will not be able to send to them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.