Sound at startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I am new to iMac and want to know if there is a way to turn off the sound as the computer starts up. The sound is during the white screen with the black apple and I am running Mountain Lion, thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

The startup sound is an indication that the POST (Power On Self Test) succeeded and the system is ready to go..if, however, you still want to disable it you can do so using StartNinja

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh thank god! lol It works great. Thanks man. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Won't work with Mt. Lion. I've d / l it, will not work. One of my biggest pet peeves with the iMac is that annoying God-awful start-up gong.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Won't work with Mt. Lion. I've d / l it, will not work. One of my biggest pet peeves with the iMac is that annoying God-awful start-up gong.

Alternatively, you can just mute the machine before you shut it down. Another option would be to not shut down, but rather, put the machine in sleep mode when you're done with it.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking for something to clean up my iMac and found Onyx and does a good job. However, I also noticed it has a feature built in that will allow you to turn off the sound. Here is the link if you want to try https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Works fine here and I'm using Mountain Lion. Perhaps you're not using it correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
found this on the 'Net:

Can't do it now, but hopefully this is legit.

1. Launch Terminal (from Applications > Utilities > Terminal);

2. Wait for the Terminal UI to display your computer’s name (root directory) and punch in:

CODE
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

3. Hit Return/Enter;

4. Now you’ll be prompted to type in your administrator password. Do that, hit OK, and you’re done.

When you restart your Mac, the OS X boot chime should no longer play. If you somehow decide you want the boot sound back, simply fire up Terminal again and, instead of the aforementioned command, use sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the Terminal command works. I can see why someone would mute the sound (office cubicles, libraries, etc). Keep in mind though that permanently / semi-permanently muting the sound can affect troubleshooting. I once rebooted a G5 four or five times during a problem and wondered why I herald no sound / no indication of POST problems/ success. I'd left a headset plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works fine here and I'm using Mountain Lion. Perhaps you're not using it correctly?

Yeah no great surprise that it doesn't work. I type in my password, slide the slider to "Off" for the System Start-Up Sound,

but I still get the GONG.

My "Terminal Command" method doesn't work, either. When it asks me to type in my password, nothing shows on the screen (key board is locked). Very clever, Apple.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your password is not going to appear in the Terminal - the keyboard is not locked - the password does get typed in - you just can't see it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah no great surprise that it doesn't work. I type in my password, slide the slider to "Off" for the System Start-Up Sound,

I'm glad you found something that works, however, the Startup Ninja program works just fine here as I stated above, and, I'm using Mountain Lion. Also, it works for others who are using Mountain Lion.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works fine no issues here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad you found something that works, however, the Startup Ninja program works just fine here as I stated above, and, I'm using Mountain Lion. Also, it works for others who are using Mountain Lion.

I swear it didn't work (Startup Ninja). I wish I had an explanation. I seriously think there is a problem with my Mac due to multiple issues I've had and do have. But the sound is off, which is a huge relief so I'm happy - for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.