Network Printer Setup Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.3 Retina Display
All,

Here is my setup ..

Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8.4

2 Network Printers (1 HP on the Home Network and 1 Brother on my Work Network)

Home and Work Networks are isolated and not connected to each other. I connect to both networks over WiFi and have a dynamically assigned IP address.

Issue:

I recently had problems with the Brother Printer and had to reset the printer subsystem on the Mac. Needless to say, this erased the setup I had for both the printers.

After the reset of the printer subsystem, hard reboot of the Mac, I was expecting the printers to show up in list when I go the Print and Scan Preferences and choose the '+' at the bottom left hand corner. For some wierd reason, I do not see them.

Any ideas as to what might be going on.

I know I can manually add the printers, so I can get over the immediate issue. I am concerned if there is some other inherent problem that I should address.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Tell us how you actually connect to two networks over a single WiFi connection? That really isn't possible unless you have two network connections available. Also, connecting to two networks at the same time will lead to a lot of interesting little problems. I'm not sure how you had all of this working to begin with..

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin,

In my original note, I meant to include "(independently)" when I referred to connecting to 'both networks'.

That said, it IS possible to connect to 2 networks at the same time .. think VPN. Since you asked, I actually just tried it ..

1. Connect to 'work' network.
2. Start a VPN Session and connect to 'Home' network
3. Configured printers from both networks will show up and I can print to both.

That said, my question was more around the fact that the printers had to be manually configured after I did a 'print system reset'. They did NOT show up as 'available' printers when I click on the '+' button.

Hope this helps.

Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I should re-phrase my question to 'Why do my Printers NOT show up in the 'Nearby Printers' list ?'

I am not 100% sure, but when I first configured them on the MBP, both showed up in the list of 'Nearby Printers' when I was connected to their respective networks and I proceeded to add them in. I do not specifically remember manually adding them.

Anyway, these are not showing up in the 'nearby printers' list anymore. I have manually added them in and am able to do my work and use them.

My initial concern was around some other screwup that may have occured that might need to be corrected.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.