Back to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Greetings all. I was a Mac user a few year ago, but switched to windows due to compability issues with work, school, etc... Anyway, 2 months ago my Dell laptop died! I went to the store and got an Acer C7 chromebook, installed Ubuntu on it, and was good to go for a while. After a few weeks I determined that while the Acer was a nice machine, it simply was not powerful enough to do what i needed it to do. A few weeks ago, I brought home a nicely specced HP Windows 8 laptop. I really liked that computer, but Windows, holy @#$%!!!!! What a nightmare that was. Went to the store 3 days ago and bought a brand spanking new 13" Macbook Pro. I was trying to avoid Mac as I had broken my Mac addiction years ago.

Anyway, I AM BACK!!!

It feels so good to be back on a Mac, maybe because of the Mac itself, or maybe just because after weeks of dealing with the Windows 8 nightmare, anything would feel good. I guess time will tell.

I now need some advice. I am not a gamer, but I do enjoy a game to kill time now and then. I had a few games lying around, tried them in my Macbook, but they are all PowerPc games (like I said I was gone from Mac for a while). Can anyone recommend some decent games. I was thinking of Civ V, something like that, i am just a time killer when it comes to gaming.

I ordered 16gb ram, a data-doubler, and I have an SSD that I had installed in my chrome book, this should be enough to run Photoshop smoothly correct? Is the datadoubler a difficult install?

Thanks all for your help, looking forward to enjoying my new mac!

M

MacInWin

The DD is easy to install, just follow the directions carefully. Without more specs on the SSD, I can't say about that part, but Photoshop runs fine in my MBP with 10 Gig of memory and a DD with SSD as boot drive.

Welcome back to Mac!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome back to the fold. If you'll contact our microsurgery department we'll remove thee microsurgery homing device. We'll want to examine the thing carefully to see why it took so long to work.

C

chas_m

To answer your question about games. Most of the big titles make their way to the Mac in due course: some have simultaneous offerings, some come along (usually with extra content!) a few month later. BioShock Infinite, pretty much the state of the gaming art at the moment, is scheduled for the end of August (five months after the PC version, but with free DLC) as an example.

Another trainload of games come to Macs either via porting houses or Steam (same difference). Certainly there are still tons more games for Windows, but most of the really GOOD ones make it over to the Mac at some point, and a lot of indie games (the kind I prefer) seem to be dual- or tri-platform these days.

Needless to say the Civ V or whatever number they're up to these days are all available for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Civ 5 is available for Mac. Best to get it through Steam, as the Mac App Store version is somewhat crippled I believe. Plus you get SteamPlay on Steam so you can easily play multiplayer with your friends on Windows. I'd highly recommend checking the Mac section in Steam as there is a pretty good selection of games available, both big studio and indie games.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just ran into this top 25 list a couple days ago at MacLife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Just ran into this top 25 list a couple days ago at MacLife.

Oh yeah. Borderlands and Borderlands 2. I've been waiting for the Borderlands 2 version to sync up with the Windows version so I can play co-op with my brother.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Excellent, thanks for the game tips. I am not a big gamer but sometime i have an hour to kill here and there so I am looking for something. I will check out steam, thank you for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.