Ipad mini set-up

Reaction score
I'm having trouble setting-up the iPad mini. I am up to the stage where i am at the wi-fi set-up screen. I can't type the password to the wifi network because the keys: W, S, Z, and the left uppercase don't seem to be working. I press one of these keys and it won't appear on the screen.

Help? what can i do?

C

chas_m

Can you clarify if you are using a paired Bluetooth keyboard, or are referring to the on-screen keyboard?

As for shift, there are two shift keys on any keyboard. Try the other one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know if you are actually "pressing" on the screen or that was just word choice.

But, my, uhm... someone else that lives with me who shall remain nameless...

Had to be re-trained on using a touchscreen. The key word here is "touch". Maybe it was too many years spent as a typist, I dunno. But, she had a real problem using a "touch" screen and wanted to "press" everything. There is a difference between touching and pressing. She's experienced this problem across multiple devices from the original Kindle, Fire, Nexus and iPad with them occasionally not recognizing a "press" on the screen. Every time we get a new device she goes back to pressing instead of touching.

Never did try to figure out if it was just random or only certain areas of the screen that didn't respond to a press or not and took me awhile watching her have problems where I could take the same device and have no problem to figure out what was happening.

Not your scenario? Try opening the Notes app and typing there. I would assume it's possible there is something wrong with the device itself, so best to find out now and exchange it for another if so.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I rang Apple for support and they told me it is a hardware issue. The touchscreen keys on the left just did not work. It was new out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.