Applications Won't Open- PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Okay so here is my problem.
I wanted to change the name of the 'home' folder and was struggling with how to do it. I ended up moving all of my files to an external hard drive, creating a NEW folder, making it my home folder, and transferring things BACK from the hard drive.
Now, Microsoft word, the sims 3, and other applications are refusing to open.
I really need these things to open so if you could please help I would greatly appreciate it.

The icons and applications appear to be there as they were before, but when I click on them they will not open. I am running 10.6.8 on my macbook pro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully you made a backup of everything before you did that?

Read the following article on how to recover from renaming your home folder and keep your fingers crossed. LINK

OP
T
Reaction score
Hopefully you made a backup of everything before you did that?

Read the following article on how to recover from renaming your home folder and keep your fingers crossed. LINK

Thank you! I got microsoft word working again, but sims3 still isn't working. It is saying there are problems with cider? How can I solve this? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, I'm not familiar with running the SIMs but I'll try to find out for you and get back in this same thread.

Edit: Well, I found out what's going on with Cider. Apparently Cider is a "wrapper" which is needed to run Sims 3 as it's really a port from Windows. Read this thread from the Apple Discussions Forum which may help you resolve the problem. LINK

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice fund chscag. I found similar information in another thread on the Apple forums. Yours had much more information though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.