I Changed My IP Address Now I Can't Connect to the Internet

Reaction score
I changed my IP address manually then tried to connect to the internet. It didn't work, so I changed it back and I can't connect at all. I'm not sure what to do to fix i. Can anyone help?
I'm using a Mac Air on Lion, and I'm trying to connect to my wfi network.

Now I have a new problem. The Wifi bar shows that I have access, but nothing will load. I have no idea what going on.

Edit: Fixed that too. I'm on a roll :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm willing to bet that you have a network setup with DHCP. If it is, you don't set your IP manually - it's given to you by your router. Do you have a network setup with DHCP or do you use static IPs?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Every router has a configuration/monitoring procedure that is often web browser driven. Generally you have to enter the router's IP number to log into the administrator section. Which make and model router do you have?

OP
K
Reaction score
Every router has a configuration/monitoring procedure that is often web browser driven. Generally you have to enter the router's IP number to log into the administrator section. Which make and model router do you have?
Oh, it's fixed now. I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Great. What was wrong? The fix might be helpful to others in the future.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
:Blushing: I didn't realize that Mac's had their own router addresses,and kept using the network address.

Glad you sorted out your problem, but that explanation makes no sense to me..:)

What do you mean when you say "router addresses" and "network address"?

OP
K
Reaction score
Glad you sorted out your problem, but that explanation makes no sense to me..:)

What do you mean when you say "router addresses" and "network address"?

I believe those refer to the router's IP address. I was just going off of the sticker on the router.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK..gotcha..yes the router will have an IP address, comes as XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and there's also a MAC address that look like XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX..the MAC addresses are also known as Physical addresses and are not unique to each device, i.e., every device on the Internet has a unique value..(let that sink in a bit..:) )

The IP addresses would be used for communication..so your router might have ones like 192.168.1.1 or something..and every device on the network would have 192.168.1.X where X is 2-254..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.