Is ram user replaceable in a new mb pro non-retina?

Reaction score
Spouse is going to be going to the apple store tonight to make a final decision on ordering a macbook pro. Going to go with Parallels so it can do both Win and Mac. A colleague said you CAN upgrade the ram yourself on the non-retina macbook pro's. I don't think this is the "official" line from Apple and I just wanted to verify that we could upgrade the ram ourselves to 16gb and have it work properly.

Would this void the warranty? On a seperate note is it worth the big price increase to get an SSD hard drive even though it would be smaller capacity? Thinking of either the 1TB disc based hard drive or one of the larger SSD drives. I know boot up and shut down would probably be faster but would I notice a large increase in speed when running other apps in the windows side of things via parallels?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Yes. You can upgrade the ram on non retina MacBook pros. It is very easy. It does not void the warranty they just don't cover the parts that you install. I have the retina and the ssd makes everything very fast. I would never have a computer without an ssd.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a quick video of the installation procedure.

Although there seems to be some confusion online, even among Apple techs, everything I have seen says that users replacing memory does not void the warranty in these machines. Can't locate the "official" statement at the moment though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. One other question. On the retina version of the MBP can you replace the ssd hard drive yourself?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.