• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm glad they got to the bottom of this and hopefully educate people enough to stay away from the dirt cheap chargers..they are just not made well and probably not grounded well..losing ones life over a $2 charger is quite an expensive cost..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I much prefer the Darwin method of survival. If someone thinks a 99¢ charger from China is going to be built to the same standards as an authentic Apple charger, let them use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2
... or maybe Apple should have been selling these for $10 (rather than $19) from the beginning, because you can be sure they aren't taking a loss at $10 ... I'm just saying :Blushing: - (don't all jump on me at once - please form an orderly queue) :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Damage control, or clever way to make some money? Both?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Damage control, or clever way to make some money? Both?

Hardly damage control since it wasn't an official Apple charger that was the culprit..an opportunity to make some money..perhaps..but then you've gotta wonder if every company would do the same..Apple could've just as easily concluded that the issue was some third party cheap charger and moved on..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Negative news regarding Apple causes them to create a special program for turning in crap chargers, and lets buyers purchase a new charger at discount. If that's not damage control, I don't know what is.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I was trying to say is that they didn't HAVE to create the program to allow people to exchange 3rd party chargers for official Apple ones. While the initial news stories and headlines might just say "person electrocuted by iPhone charger"..subsequent news have elaborated on the real cause being the 3rd party charge (thus our discussion here..:) )..

So how is that really negative to Apple? Exploding batteries (something that Apple is responsible for) is another story..

Rather than damage control, this is more of a PR opportunity for Apple to make them seem like a caring company that doesn't want this to happen other other people with cheap (potentially dangerous) chargers..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What I was trying to say is that they didn't HAVE to create the program to allow people to exchange 3rd party chargers for official Apple ones. While the initial news stories and headlines might just say "person electrocuted by iPhone charger"..subsequent news have elaborated on the real cause being the 3rd party charge (thus our discussion here..:) )..

So how is that really negative to Apple? Exploding batteries (something that Apple is responsible for) is another story..

Rather than damage control, this is more of a PR opportunity for Apple to make them seem like a caring company that doesn't want this to happen other other people with cheap (potentially dangerous) chargers..

No, they definitely didn't have to, and I agree that most other companies would just post statements about it not being tied to them since it was a 3rd party device that caused the death. It's still negative news tied to Apple directly. No 3rd party company was every mentioned(unless something recently got released). It is definitely a PR stunt rolling off of this negative media. Do a quick search on Yahoo/Google about this topic, and read the comments. For people who do not know, which is A LOT since some of the very first news to come out on this incident blamed Apple directly for their. It wasn't until later that the news was released of the charger being made by some cheap 3rd party.

I agree with calling it a PR stunt, though:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.