Boot Camp/External Drive/Time Machine

Reaction score
I am trying to partition a my hard-drive in boot camp, and I get the message "Can not partition because some files can't be moved". I was told to back up my drives with Time Machine to help aid me in solving this problem. What do I do once my Hard-drive is backed up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How full is your hard drive? If its too full and you are trying to make a partition bigger than the available space, it may give that error message. (Not actually positive on this as I don't use Boot Camp.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am trying to partition a my hard-drive in boot camp, and I get the message "Can not partition because some files can't be moved". I was told to back up my drives with Time Machine to help aid me in solving this problem. What do I do once my Hard-drive is backed up?

In addition to what member Stretch stated, that message also appears if your hard drive is fragmented. In other words, there may not be enough continuous space available to create a Boot Camp partition even though the drive has enough overall space.

There are several ways to resolve the error. First, check if there is enough space on your hard drive and let us know.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you're right Stretch. When Bootcamp attempts to create a partition it needs to have the space used for the partition to be contiguous. There must also be enough free space so that once the partition is complete you must still have enough free space on the OS X partition for the necessary swap files.

If I recall correctly here's how I fixed the problem (assuming you have enough drive space):
1. Create a backup of your boot drive. I like to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper so the backup is bootable.
2. Reboot the machine (from clone, DVD etc) and format the drive.You can't bot from the same drive yoyo are formatting.
3. Reload OS X
4. Run Bootcamp Assistant to create the Windows partition,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.