The beauty of a well organised iTunes App on my Mac .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was sitting here the other day, and i had just put a new SSD in my Optical Drive and went about setting it all up with a new OS, and moving my Apps over and what i wanted. While i was doing this i turned on the ATV and proceeded to watch a Movie. Trying to find it in the ATV was a pain so i found it in iTunes and played it then sent it to the ATV.
I have a lot of content in Movies and TV Shows that had really now real chronological order and my iTunes just looked ugly.
Ive had Tuneup for sooo long, my songs and album artwork was up to scratch, but didnt play well with the Movie/TV side of things.
I knew of iDentify so i went ahead and bought it and then went and dragged all my movies over and it went through quickly and then saved and nothing much changed. I went through this 3 times and nothing changed, then i remembered "Ahh Preferences" lol
I opened Preferences and went ahead and sorted it out to how i would want it, with saving to iTunes when done.

Just quickly, the main reason i wanted to clean up iTunes and ALL of it, so when i started yet another TimeMachine Backup, i wanted it right from the start, and i now have iTunes on my SSD pointed to Macintosh HD (My old 750GB Still in my Mac), so i have plenty of space.

Anyways long story short, i went and dragged all files out of iTunes Media into another place, and then dropped them all into iDentify. I sat back, had a Old Tawny Port read some og Magicians End (the final saga to Raymond E Feist's Magician Rift War Saga & Serpent War Saga) and when it was done, everything was tagged right, beautiful Album Covers, Episode ID and Seasons where there, and the Little snippet telling you about the program. I was ecstatic.
What go me now was just cruising here on the lounge and with my iPad Mini i opened up Apples Remote App, chose my Library and i was amazed at how beautiful it looked on my iPad Mini. A huge smile came over my face, so i went a exploring and everything was perfect. IT was as if i had the Apple Store in my hands, but no, it was just my library, cleaned up and tagged properly. I now am continuously using the Remote App now, because its a plasure to use, look at, and, and, and . . . . . Im lost for words.

Yet again, Apple has impressed me, for once you have something set up right, and its all complete, its a joy to use, and look at :) Im in TV heaven at the moment hahahaha

Now i have finished with a complete 298GB TM backup OTA and i have a SSD that is like ultra quick (Im happy now i paid the extra $80 and went the 6G), i have a iTunes Library now i would take home to my mum, and with the Remote App I get a lot of enjoyment in using it . . . . Its a great day, and life is good and the sun is shining .....

Thanks all for reading, but it was more so to let people know how important it is to have a clean, organised iTunes Library :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Good on ya. With more than 32,000 tracks in my iTunes Music library, plus podcasts, movies and iTunesU, I find keeping iTunes logically organized essential. Thanks for the iDentify tip.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I tried iDentify based on your experience/recommendation. I used to have a similar piece of software that I think was designed bak in the day when Front Row was still viable. Initially I made the exact same mistake that you did with the preferences even after reading your comment about that mistake.

The other issue that I have run into is relatively minor. If you batch convert a series of files and the list contains retain kinds of files (mpeg, ts,etc) it does not process these and this seems to hang the entire batch. The warning about that could be better.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well sorry to throw a spanner in the works gents, but after my talking about iDentify, (and that wasnt the main reason for the post) i got recommended another such App from a friend called iFlicks, and i must say, it is quite a bit better than iDentify. :( Oops haha
Nah in all fairness i downloaded it, and it is worth the $, because this muxes .avi, .mkv files to .m4v file that is playable universally on all devices. It also does a admiral job at doing so, and also the meta data is added 20 secs after you add the file to the window, then when you sytart it, there is no need for it to search, all it does is convert, and again like iDentify, adds it straight to iTunes and deletes the original file.

I like it :)

Just saying, and I in no way, have any baring on your bank balance when you spend another $19.99 and take no responsibility for such a act hehe :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll have to check that one out. I've got several programs that do the necessary conversions but this is an interesting idea.

On a different but related note given their admonition about backing up media what are you guys using to back up your media? I now have my media on an Iomega network drive with the Time Capsule as a backup. I am currently using Folder Sync Pro because some of my usual backup tools aren't really geared to network backup. from one network drive to another.

Reaction score
Good on ya. With more than 32,000 tracks in my iTunes Music library, plus podcasts, movies and iTunesU, I find keeping iTunes logically organized essential. Thanks for the iDentify tip.

wow! that it AWESOME!!! while I only have 200 tracks in my iTunes hahahaha. poor me

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to check that one out. I've got several programs that do the necessary conversions but this is an interesting idea.

Thats what i thought too, so i chucked down the $ and it does a good job. There is a .avi and having it run in 32bit error but i only came over it on my very first one. Done over a 2 dozen .avi .mkv no worries. Im back in 64bit in iTunes now :)

On a different but related note given their admonition about backing up media what are you guys using to back up your media? I now have my media on an Iomega network drive with the Time Capsule as a backup. I am currently using Folder Sync Pro because some of my usual backup tools aren't really geared to network backup. from one network drive to another.

I just have TimeMachine backing up to my TimeCapsule OTA and then i do a SuperDuper backup every week. Thats about it for me. I want to Bootable just in case, and leave the TM to do what it does.
If i had a iMac, i probably would have a Drobo 5Tray set up the ultimate Backup Array, and i would be happy :)

EDIT : Folder Sync Pro looks like a interesting App. I could of used that to help me clean up my Documents Folder but its 1/2 price at the moment and now i have the SSD and my 750 Macintosh HD, it might be worth it just for that, to keep things tidy . . . Hmm decisions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.