Problems getting lg external blu-ray/dvd writer BE14 to work on iMac

Reaction score
I recently purchased an lg external blu-ray/dvd writer for my new iMac running 10.8.4 -- at first it seemed to work out of the box, but now when I put a blu-ray in, it doesn't show the disc in the finder window.

I purchased this writer because of some reviews that said it worked for Mac, despite the product saying it's only windows compatible.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I purchased this writer because of some reviews that said it worked for Mac, despite the product saying it's only windows compatible.

Generally, the only Blue Ray players - burners we recommend are sold by authorized Apple resellers. For example: Other World Computing sells compatible models.

Also, besides having compatible hardware, Mac OS X currently does not contain software to use with a Blue Ray player\burner. You would need to supply your own software. If your Blue Ray says it's Windows only, then it probably did not include Mac software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.