tranferring music from itunes to ipod help please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't answer that either. Can only tell you that I've seen 2 of them where nothing worked until they were taken to the Apple store and had a reset done there. And I don't give up on my own troubleshooting lightly. I did make sure I had done everything I could find to try first. Could be they reinstall or update the firmware - don't have a clue. Both friends went to Apple as a last resort and got back home with one that now showed up in iTunes where it didn't before.

OP
M
Reaction score
I called up Apple support and got a Tech who's trying to help me with this, will report what the fix was if we are able to find one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey guys, I upgraded from Vista to Win7 and the ipod connected on first try, appreciate all the help, now got to go learn how to handle files and folders on the ipod and do the transferring, will look for tutorials first and will get back here if any questions.

OP
M
Reaction score
I followed an online tutorial for transferring from itunes to ipod, pretty simple, now I am trying to manage files and folder on the ipod but from within my pc so I am following this tutorial here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Songs-from-Your-iPod

but on no.6 instructions: Find your iPod's music. Click on "On this iPod." You should currently be in the "Summary" category of your iPod. Find the music under "On this iPod."

as the attached screenshot shows I am not seeing that option?

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The screenshot looks ok. Perhaps the tutorial isn't for the version on iTunes you have? What is it you're trying to do? Just see what's on the iPod currently? If so click the arrow next to the iPod name in the sidebar

OP
M
Reaction score
I am seeking a way to manipulate files and folders on the ipod from within my pc in the same way that I can connect an external drive and move, rename and delete files and folders, is that possible please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No, that's not possible. It's not a mass storage device in the same way a USB drive is.

There are third party tools that allow some access to the file structure but I'd stray away from them unless you have a particular reason to be in there to recover data etc

OP
M
Reaction score
ok, I've read and been able to delete a file from within the ipod, what's the process to delete a "folder" please?

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh, I am guessing the folders such as Movies, Music and TV Shows cannot be removed as they come with the ipod.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am now trying to copy some music files from the ipod to my computer, all tutorials I am finding on the net is leading me to purchase alternate softwares, is there any way I can do this through itunes please?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Someone else may correct me but I don't think iTunes can go from the iPod to the iTunes Library. This should work though. Once the files are on the computer it should be east to import them into the iTunes library.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, that's the problem, i don't wish to transfer the music files on the ipod to itunes, I simply want to save the music files in a folder on my pc but in the video it's showing a way to copy and paste from within explorer in the same way you would do so from an external drive and when I open the ipod on my pc, I am not seeing the options shown in the video?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In the video he has his iPod showing as a drive. F I think but the letter will vary depending upon your system setup. He may have put his into disk mode first. Directions for doing this vary by model

Once you have the iPod showing in Windows follow the directions in the video for making the hidden folders visible. Once the files are copied to the computer they could (but don't have to) be imported into iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, is it the same procedure for all Apple devices? Meaning, all of the instructions you guys have given me here for the ipod, would it be the same deal for ipad and iphone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.