How can I control my iTunes remotely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
Here's my setup: Mac Mini 2012 running iTunes, connected via Airplay to Audyssey audi dock speakers.

This setup incredibly well and i'm very happy with the sound all round my house, controllable from my Mac Mini through iTunes.

However, what I would like to be able to do is control iTunes remotely. I would like a device (iPod, iPhone, etc) that could connect to the iTunes running on my Mac Mini via WiFi and then show me my playlists, etc and I want to be able to change songs, change playlists, browse my iTunes, etc, all remotely.

Is there any way that I can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And there is such a thing called the Apple Remote Works a dream.
As long as Home Sharing is Turned on, and everything is on the same WiFi network then thats the one.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
And there is such a thing called the Apple Remote Works a dream.
As long as Home Sharing is Turned on, and everything is on the same WiFi network then thats the one.

Many thanks for this advice! I actually don't yet own an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch so I was just about to buy one for controlling iTunes remotely using the app that you mentioned.

However, just by chance I checked out similar apps on Android (as I own an Android-based phone and tablet). Lo and behold, I found a free app that worked immediately once i'd entered the pin to share my iTunes.

That's a few hundred quid saved so thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

For anyone in the same situation as me, i.e. has a Mac computer running iTunes through Airplay-compatible speakers and Android-based phones and tablets, I highly recommend the ReTune Android app. It works like a dream and I have it on my phone and tablet and can control iTunes on my Mac from either.

Whilst the app is free, the author will take PayPal donations if you think it's worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.