• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Complementary iCloud storage expiring September 30th?

Reaction score
My wife and own two iMacs, a Macbook Pro retina, two iPhones, three iPads, four
Apple TV's, and to iPods. So after spending about $10,000 on hardware alone,
and contributing to Apple being flush with cash to the iTune of ~ $150 billion,
I received the email below saying my iCloud backup, documents in the Cloud, and
iCloud mail will stop working if I don't upgrade, or delete my files? Essentially
Apple is blackmailing me to pay for additional cloud storage?

Since Apple has time and time again shown themselves to be greedy and petty, I
intend to cancel my iTunes match subscription for $24.99 per year. I no longer
need it since I've subscribed to Google Play, and have uploaded my entire iTunes
library for FREE!. Up to 20,000 songs are allowed! And since I'm using a
whopping 6 GB of storage for my iDevices cloud storage, I deleted my backup, and
have no intention of paying Apple for more storage. I was also considering
getting my 4 year old a 7" iPad, since he has a heavy re-purposed iPad 1, but
instead I purchased a 7" Nook/Android tablet for him for $129. So, I saved
myself about $200 right there! The bottom line is my complementary storage
expires on September 30th, but my loyalty to Apple has already expired.

Dear zBernie,

As a thank you for being a former MobileMe member, you received a 20 GB
complimentary storage upgrade when you moved to iCloud. Your upgrade expires on
September 30, 2013. When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically
adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. Note that you are currently using 6.19 GB of
storage. If you exceed your storage plan on September 30, 2013, iCloud Backup,
Documents in the Cloud, and iCloud Mail will temporarily stop working. To
continue using these iCloud features without interruption, reduce the amount of
iCloud storage you are using or purchase a storage plan by September 30, 2013.
For more information, see this article.

The iCloud Team

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When MobileMe ended and iCloud took over Apple informed you of the temporary complementary iCloud storage and what the eventual storage would be, so you went into this with eyes open, so why the gripe?

Reaction score
Elitism?

What does the amount you spend have to do with the treatment you expect to receive. You have had exactly the same treatment as other iCloud/Mobile Me users, why are you expecting more?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Why gripe? Because what Apple is doing is tantamount to blackmail. They knew full well that millions of users would eventually be faced with this difficult choice, and would choose to line Apple's pockets. Well screw Apple! I subscribed to a free 15GB Google drive account! and will store my iPhone backups there!

Apple's pettiness and failure to hear their customer's concerns will lead to their downfall -- Like General Motors.

OP
Z
Reaction score
What does the amount you spend have to do with the treatment you expect to receive. You have had exactly the same treatment as other iCloud/Mobile Me users, why are you expecting more?

Well, it's Csound1, Apples damage control expert from discussions.apple.com!

As usual Csound1, you are missing the point, and trying to divert attention from the real issue, which is that Apple is petty and greedy. But if you really do not understand the reason why I mentioned all of my Apple hardware, it was to show how big of an Apple customer I am. But time and time again Apple has shown me that they are a myopic company, with little concern for their customers concerns, which will eventually lead to Apple becoming a niche company.

Reaction score
The Point

The point is that you seem to expect free service merely because you spent some money on other products. You had free service for a year, now you want more but it is not available to you, or others (it's a level playing field) The amount of money you spend does not afford you special status. I would have riposted in the other forum but your posts eventually got the thread pulled.

"Well, it's Csound1, Apples damage control expert from discussions.apple.com!"

I don't work for Apple, try to understand that simple fact.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All of us mobile me customers were informed 2 years ago that we were getting free upgrade to 25 GB storage space and were told the 25 GB storage would go back to the 5 GB once that time was up. A little late in complaining.

The Google drive 15 GB includes "everything" you store - your Movies, photos, documents, backups, etc.

With Apples 5 GB free storage, basically backups, camera roll, documents and mail count toward that.
You also get unlimited free storage for your purchased music, movies, TV, shows, apps, books.

Which one is better for any particular individual depends on the individual's storage requirements.

At the time Apple started iCloud - Google Drive did not exist. It's a little over a year old now and was started to compete with Apple. If enough folks leave the iOS/iCloud system for the google drive/Android system - perhaps Apple will rethink their storage limit.

I've had that 25 GB for this past 2 years - I have 24.9 GB free of that. So, likely a non-issue for not only myself, but hundreds of thousands of others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Knowing the eventual outcome, I kept my iCloud storage low, 2.7GB when I received my email from Apple. I could whittle that down significantly too. Not an issue for most Apple users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hrm, I'm not even close to a half a gig. Blackmail? Ummmm. Ok.

You pays your money and makes your choice.. And of did, so I don't see the problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've had their online storage since since it was referred to as iDisk. Never really used it much though since it was usually quite slow even with high speed broadband. I had just paid for a year of service when they announced the changes so I never really expected it to go beyond what they had announced. If they did great but not expected.

C

chas_m

Actually, MM users got 20GB of *additional* storage gratis for *two* years. Try pricing that option on Dropbox and see if you still think it was such a horrible deal.

This guy zBernie has a whack-job entitlement issue I won't get into. There are more than 320 million iCloud account users -- that makes it the second most popular cloud service behind Google. The record speaks for itself.

The 20GB additional storage option costs $20 a year -- Google's next expansion tier from 15GB costs $5/month ($60/year), but you do get four times the storage. If you need more than 5GB but less than 15GB, Google drive is a pretty good deal (I get 20GB free at Copy.com but that's another story). If you need more than 15GB but less than 100GB, iCloud is a better deal.

It's all a matter of perspective. zBernie thinks Apple is "blackmailing" him into paying $20 year, but doesn't think Google's harvesting of his stored data on Google Drive and the attendant advertising, profiling and marketing (which is how they pay for the service) "costs" him anything. Okay, some people think like that. Que sera sera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I agree with chas_m and others on this issue. Apple did not spring this on us overnight. We had ample warning, and I'm not even close to the 5GB limit. If I wanted to use iCloud to store more data I'd happily pay the $20 per year, which is less than one good bottle of Tequila or four decent cigars. Considering the low price of backup drives, and the convenience of having my backups immediately available, I don't see the need for all the drama over this. Besides, I have more than 1.2TB of photos and 600GB of music on my local drives. A paltry 25GB won't begin to meet my storage needs. YMMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I agree with the above comments. You were given a FREE extension, one to which you clearly agreed with since you kept on using it. It was given out for free to users who had paid for a certain term for MobileMe service, and a few other exceptions. Under this time, MobileMe got upgraded into iCloud, and those users who were in this transition period were offered free service with additional storage to fully try out its capabilities. If you're really going to be that salty about this, I don't know why you are even that heavily invested in the cloud. At that time, I don't remember any service being as well-encompassing as iCloud, and its ability to easily save data between multiple types of devices. Now there are a few similar service, but I don't believe any are are well-developed for the Apple system as iCloud as a whole setup. That statement is coming from a DropBox and Google Drive user who uses the living crap out of them every hour of the day. They all have their own advantages.

I'm not a blind follower, but I greatly appreciate Apple for even giving use 2 years of the service for free. If I were that heavy of a user to take up 20+gb of online storage with a single cloud, paying 25 bucks a year is nothing. Only thing hindering me right now is that I have 50+gb available on my DropBox, so paying for iCloud would not be that beneficial for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.