X11 terminal window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
I installed X11 Quartz to be able to run Inkscape and that works fine. However, a terminal window for X11 opens every time I boot to the desktop and stays open until I close it.

Is there someway to automatically dismiss this window after the system and X11 have finished booting?

Thanks for the help

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
XQuartz automatically opens the prompt (tis the nature of the beast). The only way around this that I know of is to not open XQuartz at boot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
XQuartz automatically opens the prompt (tis the nature of the beast). The only way around this that I know of is to not open XQuartz at boot.

I thought that would be the case. I can live with that in order to use Inkscape. Hopefully, Inkscape will eventually not require the use of X11...

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate it...

C

chas_m

I obviously don't know the level of work you do, but have you looked at iVinci ($40) or iDraw ($25) or Sketch ($50) as possible alternatives?

Inkscape's developers have had more than a decade to get this off X11 and don't seem interested in doing so ... even GIMP eventually saw the light ...

Reaction score
If you really need to run Inkscape under X11 get Onyx. Look on the Parameters pane and change the XQuartz startup:

Xprop will start but will not show anything like xterm will.

OnyX.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.