Microsoft word unexpectedly quits

Reaction score
Word began quitting unexpectedly on startup (happens with all office apps). I removed office according to MS support instructions and reinstalled. Went through the update process but wouldnt let me get past 14.1.0. Removed office again and went through update process after a hint to only open office once and then go through update. Got to latest version. Word worked fine for a couple of days then same problem started. "Microsoft word quit unexpectedly". A note this happends with all office apps.
Running Mountiain Lion on iMac (late 2009) (8Gb RAM). Office for Mac Standard 2011.
Running same on Macbook pro Mountain Lion and 8Gb RAM as well with no problems. Running beautifully.
Please help
Error report added

View attachment ms word quits unexpectedly.pdf

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved here to OS X Apps since it has nothing to do with running Windows on your Mac.

The first thing you need to do is check your hard drive. The crash report really does not point to anything specific which is why your hard drive may be suspect. Boot to your recovery partition and run Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive. If the hard drive verifies OK, the next step is to check the memory in your machine. You can download the free MemTest for Mac from here.

Since you have reinstalled Office 2011 several times I doubt seriously that the program is at fault. However, a faulty hard drive or bad memory can cause the problem you're experiencing.

OP
F
Reaction score
Microsoft word quits unexpectedly

Really appreciated the reply CHSCAG.
I have done what you asked.
No problems with the Disk Utility scan.
And no issues with the RAM according to memtest.
Issue still exists however.
Hope you have other ideas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's do one more thing with the hard drive....

Download SMARTreporter for the Mac and see what it tells you about the hard drive.

Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.