I Set Up Guest Account...lots of problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi Everybody . . .
I attempted to set up a Guest Account on my Mac Mini. I followed the instructions I got step by step from OSXDaily. It is causing lots of problems and conflicts and now I realize I do NOT want a Guest account on my Mac. I am the sole user and I would oversee anyone that wanted to use my computer. My desire is to completely get rid of the account and all traces it ever existed and restore my computer to where it was before I did this. I do not want to try and fix this Guest account...i want it GONE and everything restored to how it was before I did this. My Mac was running perfectly before I did this. When I try out the Guest account, all kinds of boxes pop up. Again, I do not wish to fix this Guest account, I would like to completely erase it and get my computer back to where it was before I did this. Thank you all in advance. I know you can help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
System Preferences > System > Users & Groups, highlight the Guest Account and hit the little (-) button. Then run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe his cat used the guest account? ;P

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
When I go to System Preferences>System, there is no Users and Groups. All there is is Account. When I open Accounts, I see my admin account and Guest. As you can see in the pictures I attached, I am logged into my account, the Guest account is highlighted, but the (-) is grayed out and it will not remove this Guest account. Am I missing something?

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I messed up on the pictures. Here they are:

Screen shot 2013-08-04 at 9.24.04 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-08-04 at 9.24.35 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try unchecking the "Allow guests to log in to this computer".

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for the help. I did a little researching since I last posted. Since I am still using Snow Leopard, my OS will show System Preferences> System> Accounts. The Guest User account is put there by default by the Mac OS and cannot be deleted. I believe the boxes that kept popping up are all related to the Epson printer software, i.e EeventManager, Show Low Ink status, etc. I hope I didn't change any settings which will affect printing on my account. Time will tell. I decided to set up the Guest Account on a whim...I should have waited until I had plenty of time to do it and go through each item and think it through. I will let it rest for now and when I feel better about it, I will go back and set it up correctly and thoroughly. My biggest worry is that some of the choices I made about "Allow" and "Never Allow" and "Allow Once" have no impact on my account or future computer operation. Like I stated earlier, it has been running like a champ...I just thought I would configure a Guest Account.

Can CCC perform something like Windows System Restore with just the Accounts and Printer set up? TM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can CCC perform something like Windows System Restore with just the Accounts and Printer set up? TM?

Sure. Just boot from the CCC external drive and then selectively copy over what you want to the main drive. I've done that numerous times as it's actually more convenient and easier than using Time Machine.

A note of caution though... make sure you're not overwriting something that will whack out OS X. Do not overwrite system files or kexts!

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I should leave well enough alone for now. I have seen no ill effects of the Guest ccount gone bad...I have it disabled for now. Preview did crash once yesterday unexplained... that has never happened before. I wish I could leave stuff alone or it would be a piece of cake like the instructions make out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.