downloading mountian lion

Reaction score
After purchasing Mountain Loin online. Can I copy it to a stick before loading it. so I can back up all my stuff?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm assuming that what you mean is that you want to make a backup of the installer so you don't have to re-download it. If that is the case you need Lion DiskMaker.

When you finish downloading the installer do not run it yet. That file gets deleted when the installation is completed and Lion Diskmaker needs it to create the boot disk,

Reaction score
I very much recommend doing just that, as it saves re-downloading again if for some reason you have to reinstall and the emergency partition is borked.

OP
C
Reaction score
I mean I have a bunch of stuff to back up. Email, file and folders. etc. So can I download my new O/S now or wait till I back up everything first then download and install.

Reaction score
You can download it and make the USB stick with Lion Diskmaker whenever you want. Install it after you make backups.
Like Sylvester said, download it but DO NOT RUN it yet. If it starts, quit it. Because after it installs, it will delete the installer and you wont be able to make the USB stick.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could perform the installation without backing up. I've done it numerous times with no issues and no loss of data if that is what you're skiing. Best practice is that you should make a backup of any critical data before beginning the installation. OS X installers don't usually bork up your data but it can happen.

OP
C
Reaction score
How do I back up my contacts in the email program and in the entourage email program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In Mail go to 'Message' and his 'Add Sender to Contacts'. Will then appear in the Contact Book in the Dock/Applications. Similar for Entourage.

Reaction score
You could perform the installation without backing up. I've done it numerous times with no issues and no losd of data if that is what you're skiing. Best practice is that you should make a backup of any critical data before beginning the installation. OS X installers don't usually bork up your data but it can happen.

Past your bedtime Sly?:Smirk:

Reaction score
How do I back up my contacts in the email program and in the entourage email program.

Your best bet is a CarbonCopyCloner or Time Machine backup of your user folder.
However both should allow you to export your contacts as VCF files which you can put on a USB stick or burn to cd. Look under File/Export.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok. So what I'm going to do is use time machine. My concern was to get back my emails and contacts, my entourage emails and contacts and all my book marks in opera. plus my settings in filezilla.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Past your bedtime Sly?:Smirk:

No. Just can't type worth a lick. Personally I blame it on the knock off keyboard. That's my story anyway.

@charisma If you use Time Machine it should back up these files without issues. The files you need are going to be stored in your "Home" user folder. I believe most of it is in the hidden Library folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.