target mode copying

Reaction score
We've got about 70 laptops to roll out and all of them need the same image on them...including Bootcamp running Windows 7. If I build a master and clone it using Target Mode, will the Windows partition copy as well?

Thanks!!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hopefully someone else can confirm this but I think you are going to need two images. One will be the OS X installation and the other covers the Windows 7 installation. Initial setup will be to create an image of OS X and an image of the Windows 7 installation. Winclonce might work or perhaps others can suggest a better tool.

After creating the initial installation the following process should work for the remainder of the machines:

1. Load OS X software from the image you've created.
2. If the Windows 7 partition does not already exist run Bootcamp to create the partition.
3. Install Windows 7 fromm the image you've created.

I'm sure others will be able to give better advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully someone else can confirm this but I think you are going to need two images.

Correct. As far as I know, there's currently no way to do it all with one image. If the machines were PCs it could be done since PCs still operate by way of a BIOS. But Macs use EFI and Boot Camp actually sets up and creates - emulates the Windows boot sector. There may be a way to do it that I'm not familiar with so you might want to do additional research.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks CHSCG! That's what I was thinking would be the answer. I've got a drive dupe machine that will copy everything but, it requires taking the drive out of the laptop and loading it on a sled. We do our towers that way. Not an efficient solution for laptops though. Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.