How to know if time machine is making full system backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
Long story short I tried to merge two partitions and wasn't able to. The logical answer was to format everything and restore a time machine backup.

Unfortunately the latest restorable system backup was done in April.

How do I ensure that time machine is making restorable system backups regularly?

Thanks I found an article that seemed to have an invalid sudo command.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can gauge how much Time Machine is backing up by opening Time Machine from System Preferences while the backup is being performed. It will show you the amount of data which is being backed up. An initial TM backup with nothing excluded should backup everything. Thereafter, it will only backup what has changed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
Thanks for the reply.

So are all of the able to be used for a full system restore?

M

MacInWin

TM doesn't back up the OS itself, just your files. To restore, you should reinstall OSX, then restore everything else from TM.

C

chas_m

TM doesn't back up the OS itself, just your files. To restore, you should reinstall OSX, then restore everything else from TM.

This is incorrect.

Time Machine backs up *EVERYTHING* on the boot drive. No exceptions unless you the user choose to exclude something. It does indeed back up the OS, apps, etc *everything.*

What it does NOT do is back it up in a bootable form (ie a clone). But you can indeed do a FULL system restore from a TM backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
This is incorrect.

Time Machine backs up *EVERYTHING* on the boot drive. No exceptions unless you the user choose to exclude something. It does indeed back up the OS, apps, etc *everything.*

What it does NOT do is back it up in a bootable form (ie a clone). But you can indeed do a FULL system restore from a TM backup.

I always wondered about that, that's for the info.

Cheers

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.