Apple Newbie needs networking help!!

Reaction score
Hi All,

First, let me say I'm an Apple Mac virgin so clearly don't know Jack about them but do have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.

My daughter just got a new MBP. She's heading for college in two weeks and they "prohibit" using wireless routers on their system. I want to try to set up her and her roommate to be able to wirelessly print in their dorm room. Roommate has a MBP as well.

Here's my question; Is there a way to somehow connect the Macbooks to the wireless printer if they don't allow wireless printing over their network? I know I can set up an ad hoc network but that means disconnecting them from the college network. Hoping there is a simpler way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...Smitty

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't know of any easier way - in order to connect to 2 networks simultaneously you need 2 nics.

Don't really see an issue with setting up their own wifi network via a router with the printer attached to it. I use multiple networks here in my home. It's a mere matter of clicking on the network icon on the menu bar and selecting the other network when I need to switch - takes all of 3-5 seconds to go back and forth between them. Of course, in 10-15 seconds they could walk over to the printer and plug in the cable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your help. My hope was there was a way to not have them have to switch between networks. You're correct they can simply grab the USB cable to print and that may ultimately be how things end up. That said, I was hopeful there was another way that they could be on their lofts and print what they needed without extra steps (literaly or figuratively). Neither of them is particularly knowledgable about networks since this functionality is relatively automatic for them at present. Life would be easy if the University allowed a router in the room but I'm sure their concern is security of the system and the risk to the integrity of the University infrastructure.

Thanks again for the reply.

Smitty

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Does the uni not allow a router with a wifi setup in the room or merely not allow a router tied to the uni network?

You could get an inexpensive router and set up a wifi network on it, with printer attached, set up the network on their computer at home - show them how to click on the network icon to move between your regular home wifi network and the printer only network. When they get to uni, then it's only a matter of plugging in the router and printer with everything set up already.

If the uni network is wifi and not ethernet only, probably show them the network preference pane and how to move the primary networks around in the order they want to connect. This way, they'll know how to go in and make the uni internet connected network the primary one over the printer network.

If we've got some college age folks that have dealt with this situation, would be good for them to chime in also.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never even thought about something like that. Here's another - but read all the 1 & 2 star reviews, some good info in a couple of them - link. Maybe between these 2, it'll get you headed in the right direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.