speaker replacement

Reaction score
well finally found out my right speaker is shot, really distorted, left one sounds great, and ear buds are good on both sides. i found two sets of speakers i can buy, each say for macbook pro 15" A1150. but as you can see in the picture the bracket for the, i believe left, is different between them. short of taking my macbook apart any one know which one id need. mine is a early 2006 model.

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 6.00.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 6.02.04 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There were two MacBook Pros issued in 2006 that are designated as model A1150. One was very early in 2006 (first Intel MacBook Pro), the second one had a glossy screen and was released in Oct of 2006. I don't know if they both used the same speakers. Go to the ifixit web site to take a look at the breakdown as it might show the speakers for you to compare.

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks, figured out which one they are. from the description it seems that my ines is a little bit more detailed than the later . oh well.

OP
H
Reaction score
ok i get my new, used, speakers monday. after seeing how to replace them im thinking to just replace the right one, after all its the bad one. left one sounds perfect. any reason to replace both. reson i ask is that the left one is the one that requires more things to be disconnected to remove and if its working i thought why not just cut the wires to the right and solder the new one on, ofcourse shrink tubing also. is there something im over looking by not replacing both.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would do the same thing. There is no point replacing a perfectly good working speaker. Just replace the bad one and yes, be careful with your soldering and shrink tubing. Take care heating the shrink tubing.... ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
now some one else on another site says = apples service guide states they come in pairs and are calibrated by the manufacturer. be nice to find that in the service guide.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replace the bad one first and try it out. If everything sounds OK, no sense replacing the good one. Also, I'm not quite sure I understand how those speakers could be calibrated as a matched pair. But, who knows?

OP
H
Reaction score
i asked for the link to check it out. well see. but thinking about it, hmmmm, yeah there not some high end great sounding speakers, in fact they dont sound all that great when new. but then they are in a old 2006 macbook pro. ill see when i have it apart.

OP
H
Reaction score
well with the ifixit detailed instructions is wasnt to bad getting them. great instructions and pictures. im going to go ahead and replace both. at least now i now why the right speaker sounded so bad, then quit completely. its nice when you can actually see the damage.

DSCF0448.JPG

DSCF0447.JPG

OP
H
Reaction score
so i install my replacement speakers and low and behold the left one is bad, then i check it out and sure enough its frozen, i could use my left good one and the right good one i have now, solder them, but what would be really nice is to buy a new set, figure they would last a while. cant find any new sets anywhere. strange that there are so many, and i mean = so many, sets of used ones online for sale, that says a lot about there speakers, seeing as there are so many of them up for sale. is there anywhere to buy new oem ones, ar even new after market ones.

OP
H
Reaction score
ok the seller i bought the used set from sent me another pair, install them and at last, fixed. what a difference, sound good and loud. but how long will they last. looks like they sell a lot of used speakers for these older macbook pros. still cant find any new ones. it really isnt that hard to replace them, just time consuming and tedious. id think by now some one would be selling new ones, i cant even find new ones on apples site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.