iPhone bluetooth adapater for car?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out what I need. I have a new Chevy Equinox that has a usb slot in the glove compartment that I can plug my iphone into to get the music going and it charges as well. Is there an adapter I can plug into the usb slot that would give me Bluetooth audio in the car?

The reason I ask is every usb Bluetooth adapter I find is for pc/mac (which I'm assuming needs to install or something which I have no control over in the car) or the adapter plugs into an 1/8" aux jack which I don't have in my car.

Is all I need a basic usb powered Bluetooth connector that would work on mac or pac to connect my iphone wireless in my car?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you can do that with an iPhone. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the BT in the iPhone is for pairing a headset or the like, not for sending its audio into the car's system.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use my iphone for connecting to my Bluetooth audio speaker at home all the time so Bluetooth is for sending audio as well on the iphone and not just for headsets.

What I'd like to know before I buy a Bluetooth usb receiver if my car would recognize the device so that I can sync my music. If I plug my device directly it shows up as ipod in my car.

thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
IF the car has BT already available, the iPhone can send its audio (once paired) to the car's stereo. I do this every day of my life. I have an Alpine system in my car, and can control the iPhone from the stereo console.

More than likely, you should be able to control you phone from the stereo once you plug it in. However, if the car does not have BT, you cannot just "plug in a BT dongle."

Check your car's manual for specifics for your system.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't have a Bluetooth capable stereo system. All I have is a usb port to plug in phone and it will charge and play my music. There is nothing in the manual about being able to connect a dongle and that is what I was curious about.

If it's a powered usb port I don't understand why I can't just plug in a usb powered Bluetooth dongle. Does anyone know of any way of doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can't just plug in a BT dongle. If the stereo console doesnt specifically state it is a BT console, it isnt going to happen without paying for a huge upgrade that gets put in behind the stereo console. there are some components that can be added aftermarket.

You can't just plug in a BT dongle.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depending on the age of your car and the model radio you have, it's possible there is a bluetooth add-on available for your stereo. These are all typically manufacturer/model specific and you can try the manufacturers site of your radio to see if they have such an accessory or visit a custom car audio shop - probably not BB.

Or you could try a bluetooth/FM transmitter along this line - link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.