MacBook Pro will not turn on, noob needs help sorry in advance :/

Reaction score
I just got back home from a deployment and I come to find out that my MacBook pro 13' will not turn on. (2010 model)

The charger light is green so the charger is working properly.

I pressed the battery indicator and the first single light blinks for 5 seconds which by what I have read means that it needs to be charged to a specific %age to turn on.

Well after a couple hours of charging it will not turn on and the indicator light continues to show the same indication.

I left the MacBook in working order in October 2012 , I'm
guessing it died and after that it has yet to be plugged into the charger till now. Would not charging it since then do the battery any harm?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple advises if you're going to leave your MacBook or MacBook Pro idle for a long period of time, to charge the battery full and then discharge it to around 50% capacity and store it that way.

I can only guess that your battery condition is such that it will not charge, however, we can't be sure until you test it. Download the free coconutBattery 2.8 and see what it tells you about the battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first thought is the battery was allowed to go completely dead...and left in that condition for too long...which is not good for any rechargable battery.

Hopefully you be able to "revive" it...but if not...it may be new battery time.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I took it to geek squad and was told the mother board was bad, can this be a result of not being used?

I was told that since the light needs to be orange when charging that's one indication , or are they trying to sucker me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would be VERY leery of what the Geek Squad said. I don't know how the logic board could have gone bad just by leaving the machine in storage for 9 months or so. As Nick stated in his reply and also mine, check the battery first. Did the guys at Best Buy test your battery and MagSafe Adapter or did they just make an assumption that the logic board was bad?

If there is an Apple store nearby, I would take it there if you prefer not to troubleshoot it yourself. I do not personally trust Best Buy.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok well I am going to buy a battery and hope it works out. Have you guys had any good experiences with batteries other than apple brand?

I found this oem one if anyone can comment and say wether I should go for it or not I'd appreciate it, and I appreciate all of you that have replied and tried to help.

Amazon.com : Apple New OEM Original Genuine Apple Macbook Pro 13 inches A1278 2009 2010 2011 Battery A1322 020-6547-A 661-5585 661-5391 661-5229 661-5557 : Laptop Computer Batteries : Electronics

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazon resellers are generally reliable. I purchase many items from them and have never been disappointed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless there is some indication that the battery leaked or had other significant issues I can't see how a long period of inactivity would wreck the logic board. I might be inclined to get a new battery, charge it, then try booting again. Not exactly a cheap option but if it doesn't work and the logic board is bad you can always resell the battery.

Took me too long to type the post. You guys beat me to it. Gues I was spending too much time trying to hide the MOTM from the mods. lol

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok well I just bought said battery seems like a good deal for an oem battery, wish me luck fellas, and again I appreciate you all !

I'll post what happens when it arrives (fingers crossed) : /

OP
B
Reaction score
Sooo I just tried my buddies charger for ***** and giggles and BAM picked up right where I left it last time I used it.
Geek squad will be getting a very bad complaint from me.

Not only did I buy parts I didn't need but they misguided me on what I needed to do to get it fixed, it's official they are a bunch of scammers in my book.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good to hear you got that sorted out. here's what I think I would do next just to satisfy myself that all is well.

1. When you are sure the battery has had sufficient time to fully charge run the battery down to the point where it indicates that it needs charging.

2. Now use your charger to charge the battery. If all is well Does the battery last a erasable time before needing a charge and charge in a reasonable time. If so both battery and charger are OK. If not try the battery you bought.

With a bit of troubleshooting and shifting things around you should be able to determine whether the battery and charger are OK, Even if they aren't that is much cheaper than a logic board replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.