Devil scratches }:o

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
Guys. i bought my macBook from couple months,i bought a cover but when i pulled up the cover i found a lot of scratches at the side of the mac. first how did it get scratches in the cover? second not only the Body of the mac has scratches also the cover has holes. am feeling like damned xD but what shall i do?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A case will only protect a notebook to a certain point. From the sounds of it, either the case is of poor quality or you've (perhaps inadvertently) been transporting it in a way that is subjecting it to punishment. How do you move your MacBook around?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What sort of "cover" are we talking about. A hard case?, a skin?, etc.?

Also...what do you mean by "the cover has holes"?

- Nick

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
The cover has holes means the cover has holes caused by scratch or something and it's at the same area of the scratch of the mac's body.

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
A case will only protect a notebook to a certain point. From the sounds of it, either the case is of poor quality or you've (perhaps inadvertently) been transporting it in a way that is subjecting it to punishment. How do you move your MacBook around?

it's plastic one,and it's spick look thru

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's fine, most are. From the sounds of it then, it's the method of transporting it that's causing the issue. How do you move it around?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cover has holes means the cover has holes caused by scratch or something and it's at the same area of the scratch of the mac's body.

I can't help unless you answer all questions. I asked two questions...you answered only one.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Those Speck cases are good for hard knocks and will protect your Notebook from them, but honestly, i steer people away from the Speck Cases, as fine grains of sand/dirt can get in there, especially if you have it in a BackPack that has a lot of grit in the bottom. It works its way inbetween the Case and the Mac and yes it does scratch, and they are not pleasant to look at. Take it off ASAP and get a better cover for it.

I know this, because i read reviews on Apple Store and everyone said they are good, but when i had it in my backpack, with some dust/dirt/sand/little bits n pieces down the bottom, they worked into the case.
I took it off to check battery one day and i was surprised that there was scratches on this once pristine MBP.
So yea take it off as is safer in that sense than keeping it on and getting scratches on it because of the case.
They are not poorly made, its just sand/dust can get into ANY crack :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...i steer people away from the Speck Cases, as fine grains of sand/dirt can get in there, especially if you have it in a BackPack that has a lot of grit in the bottom. It works its way inbetween the Case and the Mac and yes it does scratch...

This is exactly the rationale I was going to mention to the OP (since I have read about this happening as well). But I wanted the OP to be more clear as to what sort of case they have. The post the OP made in post #4 (quote below)...

...mentions holes in the cover "caused by scratch or something". Plastic hard shell cases don't get holes in them caused by a "scratch or something".

Thus my confusion (clarification needed)...as to what sort of case they have (hard shell or one of the adhesive type of protective skins).

- Nick

p.s. I don't necessarily 100% agree with your assessment of hard shell cases (steer away from them)...but that's a different topic).;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
it's plastic one,and it's spick look thru

This is what made me think it was a Speck case. Plastic and you can see thru it = Speck Case to me.

This is exactly the rationale I was going to mention to the OP (since I have read about this happening as well). But I wanted the OP to be more clear as to what sort of case they have. The post the OP made in post #4 (quote below)...

Thus my confusion (clarification needed)...as to what sort of case they have (hard shell or one of the adhesive type of protective skins).

I have seen other Post's by the OP and English seems to be a second language, so im only speculating, but yes clarification is needed.

p.s. I don't necessarily 100% agree with your assessment of hard shell cases (steer away from them)...but that's a different topic).;)

I shouldn't of been so harsh on them. If there where other choices in say someones list of, which case should i get, i would suggest another case. The Speck is a great case, dont get me wrong.
I kept one on my White MB from 2008 ALL the time, and was great, i took it off once a week and cleaned it up, BUT if someone is travelling, and they are not the cleanest of people, like, sand/dirt/dust in the bottom of the bag/backpack they carry it in, then i would tell them to think twice in buying one. Thats more why i said i would steer people away from them.
But if your diligent, and dont mind taking it off every now and then to give the case and the Mac a clean, then go for it.

It does sound to me though that the OP had his in a bag with something at the bottom of the bag that got in between the case and Mac and did scratch it, but as you said Nick, until we get clarification, I'm only speculating ;)

PS im on the verge of OCD about my Backpacks and bags. Im forever turning them upside down, inside put and getting all the crud out of it. I hate having a dirty bag/backpack . . . . .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what made me think it was a Speck case. Plastic and you can see thru it = Speck Case to me.

I was hoping for clarification from the OP on the case type (Speck-Like plastic case or an adhesive skin). That's why I posted above that OP should answer all questions for best help.:)

I shouldn't of been so harsh on them. If there where other choices in say someones list of, which case should i get, i would suggest another case. The Speck is a great case, dont get me wrong.

No case is perfect...I totally agree.:) But for me...the upsides of a hard shell outweigh the downsides.

I kept one on my White MB from 2008 ALL the time, and was great, i took it off once a week and cleaned it up, BUT if someone is travelling, and they are not the cleanest of people, like, sand/dirt/dust in the bottom of the bag/backpack they carry it in, then i would tell them to think twice in buying one.

Absolutely agree.:) Removing the case periodically to clean any dirt/dust/sand that may get under it is the thing to do.

I always buy used laptops...and they can come in various states of "perfection".;) Even if they already have dents/dings/scratches...I still try to put a hard shell case on them...just to prevent more from occurring. I usually don't have a problem with dirt...but I can certainly see someone living in a very dry sandy windy climate having trouble with dirt & sand. And removing the case & cleaning would be a must.

PS im on the verge of OCD about my Backpacks and bags. Im forever turning them upside down, inside put and getting all the crud out of it. I hate having a dirty bag/backpack . . . . .

Would I be correct that you are in a fairly dry windy area of Australia...where dirt could frequently get into your backpack/under your hard shell case?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would I be correct that you are in a fairly dry windy area of Australia...where dirt could frequently get into your backpack/under your hard shell case? - Nick

Haha You hit the nail on the head. Its hard not to here in Aust with 89% of the population living within 80-100kms of the coast, coast = sand, and the the other 11% don't.
Anywhere from 80-100 kms from the coast is hard harsh country, and another 100 kms past that is desert, so its hard not to be in contact with some sort of contaminant haha :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I used a spec case on both an aluminum MBP and a white MB.

Would never recommend one of those cases for an aluminum Mac.
The sand and grit that gets in there will leave fine scratches in it.

Took a year before I noticed them on the MBP at which time that case was never put back on.
It's use was basically confined to the living room and bedroom at home though.
Don't think it left the house during that first year.

The white MB still has it's spec case on it 6 yrs later and doesn't really appear to be any worse for wear.
Scratches are there, but they just are not noticeable nearly so much as on that fine tooled aluminum case.

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
I can't help unless you answer all questions. I asked two questions...you answered only one.

- Nick

no actually i answered bot questions :p 1st A:plastic 2nd A:holes caused by scratch

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
I used a spec case on both an aluminum MBP and a white MB.

Would never recommend one of those cases for an aluminum Mac.
The sand and grit that gets in there will leave fine scratches in it.

Took a year before I noticed them on the MBP at which time that case was never put back on.
It's use was basically confined to the living room and bedroom at home though.
Don't think it left the house during that first year.

The white MB still has it's spec case on it 6 yrs later and doesn't really appear to be any worse for wear.
Scratches are there, but they just are not noticeable nearly so much as on that fine tooled aluminum case.

i think it's the main reason. thanks BTW i tried to find a skin one but didn't find it at all,also I'm not using it no more

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.