Network Preferences not saving.... No Internet connection

W

Woten

Greetings,

I am running an iMac G3 600 Mhz machine. About a week and a half ago, a current update for various programs came up. I went a head and let the computer do the update. After that, the computer would not boot up at all. All I would get is a blue screen. I tried a few different T/S techniques from apple knowledge base. Nothing I tried worked. At the time, I was running OS 10.3.9. So, I decided to reload OS 10.3 installation disks. That seemed to fix most of the problems. However, I am not able to connect to the internet. One of the main problems I noticed is that there is no 'com.apple.networkConfig.plist' files in my Preferences folder. I did a search on my harddrive and that file doesn't exist anywhere.

Now, when I try to use Network Preferences, it doesn't seem to save anything. Nor does it see my cable modem. I set the preferences to DHCP and built-in ethernet (along with the other necessary steps). I then hit apply. I close System Preferences program and then reopen it, nothing I saved is there.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Sorry for the long post.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
create a new admin user and log in as the new user to see if the problem follows the user. if not it's your profile

if so re-dowload and re-appy the 10.3.9 combo updater after you repair permissions. see what kind of mileage you get from that.

OP
W

Woten

MacsWork said:
create a new admin user and log in as the new user to see if the problem follows the user. if not it's your profile

if so re-dowload and re-appy the 10.3.9 combo updater after you repair permissions. see what kind of mileage you get from that.

Thanks for the suggestion MacsWork, however it didn't resolve the issue. The problem followed the new user. I did repair permissions, and again that didn't work. Could it be the lack of the file: 'com.apple.networkConfig.plist'? Is that where the config list gets saved? I looked to see if it got created when I created the new user, but it didn't. I did a search in the new user account for the file, and it wasn't there either.

Any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.