backing up osx mountain lion on a USB stick from a preinstalled copy

N

newmacsurfer

Hi Mac users

I have recently bought a mini mac with a preloaded version of mountain lion.

Does anyone know how I can make a FULL back up of mountain lion on a usb stick in case I want to wipe my hardrive and reinstall osx 10.8. I have found info on the internet which tells me how to make a back up from an upgrade file downloaded from the apple store but this doesn't work for me as I have a preloaded copy.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The time to make a USB thumb drive with ML installed is prior to running the Installer. The pre-loaded copy is not actually yours but belongs to the person who purchased it from the App Store. Lion and Mountain Lion are different in that the operating system always belongs to the App Store ID Account. In short his/her (the seller) download is his/hers and never yours. Mavericks OS X.9 is due out in a couple of months. If you purchase that after establishing an Apple ID and account, use LionDiskMaker to make the thumb drive before installing.

In the interim if you have problems you can access Mountain Lion Recovery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@OP Even if the copy of Mountain Lion was pre-loaded on a Mac purchased from Apple a full backup of such an installation would take a fairly high capacity stick drive. I don't recall the exact size at the moment. Much easier to get a hard drive and use that.

OP
N

newmacsurfer

Okay thanks guys. I don't like how Apple is making it really hard to get a back up version of the software but I can wait for the new version and just have the recovery tools on usb in the short term.

Cheers

OP
C

chas_m

They don't make it hard at all. You have Time Machine, which contains a full backup of your entire HD, you have a Recovery Partition that can restore your system, and if the HD goes south you have Internet Recovery of the system.

By my count that's three times more backups than most people have of their system, and likely to be at least one extra backup option beyond what most of us had pre-Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if that is not sufficient cloning software such as SuperDuper is also available for cloning the drive to an external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.