Disk Capacity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro Retina
Good afternoon.
I'm from Portugal so my english might have some mistakes.

I've bought a MacBookPro last year with 250 GB.

It has been working very well so far, but there's a problem.

I installed Parallels Desktop 8 and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I don't have much movies, tv series, musics or photos in my computer, and I just have 99GB left to use.

I think my mac is filled with those .trash files that pen drives have.

When I use a pen-drive with my mac, the pen drive often gets full, because of trash files, and I think my mac has the same problem. How do I solve this ?

Help, please :s

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've bought a MacBookPro last year with 250 GB.

I installed Parallels Desktop 8 and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Remember...when you installed Parallels...you created a hard drive partition for Parallels. So a possibly large portion of the hard drive could be taken up with the Parallels partition.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you created the VM in Parallels, how big of a disk did you give it? You might want to load up Disk Inventory X and have it run through your hard drive to see what is taking up space.

Once it finishes, look at the biggest colored blocks which indicate the largest file and if it's something you don't want/need, you can delete it to reclaim the space..

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro Retina
Remember...when you installed Parallels...you created a hard drive partition for Parallels. So a possibly large portion of the hard drive could be taken up with the Parallels partition.

- Nick

I do know that, and it says that it consumes near 50 GB. So where's the others 100 GB ? :s

I don't have much apps, I have office, skype, Ps cs6, itunes, google chrome, opera, mozilla firefox, safari, android app user, pac the man x, desmume, iMouseTrick, youtube to mp3, quinn, mac os x original apps,utorrent, vlc, ntfs, giffun and zipeg :s

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Office and CS 6 will take up a fair amount of space. That said, they won't take 100GB of space. I notice that you've got uTorrent - did you keep whatever you downloaded with that around?

As Raz0rEdge suggested, install Disk Inventory X and see what's taking up the space.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro Retina
I found out what was the problem. Although many of my files seemed quite small, with Disk Inventory X i found out that one of the suitcases was extremely big, 60Gb, and the others were distributed in Music, Movies and that sort of thing.

About my pen problem, that's always getting filled with trash files, what can I do? Do you always have to clean everything? In disk utilities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Empty the trash on your Mac when it is connected. The .trash.XXXXXX files are things you've moved to trash but haven't deleted.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro Retina
Empty the trash on your Mac when it is connected. The .trash.XXXXXX files are things you've moved to trash but haven't deleted.

So , if I delete something from my pen drive, I must empty then my Trash Can and there won't be any trash files?

Thanks, for all your help :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So , if I delete something from my pen drive, I must empty then my Trash Can and there won't be any trash files?

Yes. Whenever you drag something to the trash...or delete something that goes to the trash...you must "Empty" the trash can (just like in real life). The trash can in real life does not empty itself...and this is the same way it works on a Macintosh computer.:)

This applies to internal hard drives, external hard drives, pen drives, etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Works the same as Windows. If you disconnect without emptying Trash stays in the can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.