MPB loses internet

Reaction score
My MPB (10.6.8) keeps losing touch with the internet, both via WIFI and via Ethernet. The router is OK because the i-Pad remains connected. I can re-establish a connection by restarting the MPB but not by logging-out. All the software is up to date.

Comments greatly appreciated.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What router do you have? Do you have your router or your MBP set to reserve a specific IP address? How long are you able to maintain your connection before you are forced to restart to get it back?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The router came from the ISP with the broadband package and is described as the (Vodaphone) DSL Easy Box 803A.
I did the standard set-up as recommended by the ISP and don't know whether it's set to reserve a specific ISP address.
The connection gets lost about three times a day.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the reply.
The router came from the ISP with the broadband package and is described as the (Vodaphone) DSL Easy Box 803A.
I did the standard set-up as recommended by the ISP and don't know whether it's set to reserve a specific ISP address.
The connection gets lost about three times a day.
M

Alrighty. Well if they didn't set it up to reserve an address, and you haven't either, and you haven't done so on your Mac, then that wouldn't be the problem. If any of you had, and your Mac was "competing" with another device for the same IP address, then you'd be seeing connectivity issues almost immediately on starting up.

This actually sounds almost exactly like a problem I had with my cable modem last year. I kept losing my connection on my iMac and my wife's laptop, but resolving it required a restart of the cable modem. I don't remember if my iPhone would lose connection also (edit... now that I think about it, it did). Next time this happens, try restarting the router. If that does the trick, then I would contact your ISP and see about swapping the router out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.