Yet another iPhone 5 wifi question

Reaction score
So I've been experiencing the same iPhone 5 wifi issues that many people seem to have...poor signal strength or lack of a signal at all. I've tried all of the suggestions as far as router configuration to no avail. I did notice, however, that wifi on the phone seemed to work perfectly when I was in close proximity to my wifi router. So I moved my router to a location in my house that is closer to where I spend most of my time. Once I did this, I learned that the distance between the phone and the router wasn't the problem, but rather the phone seems to require a clear line of sight to the router. Furthermore, the new router location is next to a window and when I take the phone outside and stand next to that window I get no reception, even though the phone is no more than 2 feet from the router with nothing more than a thin piece of glass between them. All my other iDevices work fine in and around my house. Does this make sense to anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try doing a hard reset of your iPhone to see if that clears up any glitches. If not, the only thing you can do to troubleshoot this is restore the firmware. If that doesn't clear it up, then check with Apple before your warranty is up.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
WiFi isn't a line-on-sight technology..it, however, does degrade when going through many walls and so on..

My router is sitting in the basement in one corner and my master bedroom is in the opposite corner of the house on the 2nd floor and I don't get full bars of service there. It works for what I want to do, but going to the 1st floor gives me better signal strength..

This is true of my wife's iPhone 5, my iPhone 4, my iPad 2 and my wife's iPad 3 and my daughter's iMac..

What router do you have? Has it always done this or is this recent??

@lifeisabeach, what are you suggesting with your avatar there? There's some hanky panky going on there with Fred and Wilma..:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
@lifeisabeach, what are you suggesting with your avatar there? There's some hanky panky going on there with Fred and Wilma..:p

That's not Wilma...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.