Trying to add more RAM to Imac?

Reaction score
I have fairly old Imac. It was purchased in early 2007 and it is 20 inches. The model number of my imac is A1207. It currently has 1 GB of Ram but I'd like to upgrade it to 4 GB if possible. I know where the entry slots are on the Imac but I just wanted to make sure I do it correctly before embarking on it. Is there a particular brand or type of RAM I should be buying? Is there anything I should know about the process of adding and inserting the new RAM into the imac. Any thoughts or other information pertaining to this is appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you. Since I already have 1 GB of Ram currently, should I just purchase 3 additional GBs of ram? Or, should I buy 4 GBs of ram and get rid of the current, original GB all together?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your imac only has 2 ram slots so what you're proposing wont work. Nick has the answer for you. Also note the Apple stated max is 4 gig, however the Mactracker stated max is 6 gig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.