rtf file is disappearing from zip file - Mac issue?

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post (!)

I'm not sure if this is a Mac issue, but I've yet to find any info on it elsewhere, so I figured the Mac Forums would be a good place to start :)

I have:
iMac running OS 10.8.3

I have been sending pdf and rtf files to clients in a zip file, and some of the clients are reporting back to me that the rtf file is not in the zip file they receive. I see it on my end when I unzip the file. Reports are that the pdfs are there, but aside from that, there is only a .DS_Store file in the unzipped folder, which the clients are not able to open. Is this a Mac to PC issue, or do I need to keep researching?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you zipping the files? You shouldn't be including a hidden file in the archive which is what the .DS_Store file is. There may be something wrong on your end or your recipients have security turned on and it's removing the rtf file but leaves the PDF and hidden file.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

chscag: I'm not sure if this is enough info, but I'm zipping them by highlighting the folder to zip, going to the Finder pull down menu => File => Compress

chas_m: It does not, and I'm going to be very embarrassed (and relieved) if that's the problem - I'll give it a try and see if that solves things.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Yeah, that's the problem. Windows needs the file extension in order to determine what kind of file it is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with chas. Windows definitely needs the extension. The *.rtf file should open with either WordPad or Word depending on which is installed on the receiving PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.