Sync documents

Reaction score
I have some documents in my macbook that I would like to read and mark in my ipad. I would also like these changes to sync through these devices. I thought icloud would allow me to access them from my ipad.. How could I do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of documents are you referring to? The Apple iWork apps can be synced, for example: Pages on your Mac and iPad or iPhone. For other documents such as MS Word you could always use Dropbox instead.

C

chas_m

You have always been able to store MS Office documents along with iWork documents on iCloud:

iCloud: Documents in the Cloud overview

Given that former MobileMe/.Mac users have 25GB of free space sitting there, we might as well use it.

(tip: indeed, if you zip files beforehand upload them to the iWork section of iCloud, you can actually store any file type in that space)

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought mobileme didn't exist anymore. It's weard I don't have iWork but my OSX is 10.8.4

C

chas_m

PDF files can be stored in Documents in the Cloud, no problem.

MobileMe doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced by iCloud.

It's not weird that you don't have iWork. You have to buy iWork (or more accurately, the apps that comprise the iWork suite). There are Mac versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote that cost $20 each, and there are iOS versions of each that cost $10 each (IIRC).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. There is no way to do it without buying these? I thought I could do it using icloud..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, as stated you need both: iWork apps for your Mac and iOS. You can sync documents from other apps as chas_m pointed out or use Dropbox. I use Dropbox to sync documents from Mac Word 2011 to my iPad iOS version of Office HD because I find it easier than iCloud. (Just my opinion.)

Pages for OS X = $19.99, Pages for iOS = $9.99. Considering the cost, a real bargain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.