I accidentally deleted my system preferences, need HELP!

Reaction score
I accidentally completely deleted my system preferences, not only from my dock, but when i click on the apple menu and choose system preferences, nothing happens. I do not have my install dvd, but i am on 10.6.8 snow leapord. So please, if anyone can either give me a link to a download for system preferences or give me some knowledge on how to get it back, it would be much appreciated. Also, I somehow lost my app store and address book on my back, and I REALLY need everything back. So please, somebody answer me. ASAP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to purchase another copy of Snow Leopard direct from Apple. $19.99. Snow Leopard does an automatic archive install and will replace those files that are missing including the System Preference Panels.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Connect your backup and restore to a time previous to deleting all that stuff.

No back up and "assuming" you've already emptied the trash, you're going to need to either get your install DVD or order another one from Apple. Or, if your Mac is capable of running 10.8, buy it and install it. However, not knowing what else may be wrong with your system at this point, don't know if it would install.

edit: chscag is faster than me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.