File in Office Auto Recovery Not Visible

Reaction score
I some how saved (i think) a Microsoft Office Excel file that I was working on to my Office 2011 AutoRecovery file folder. However I'm unable to navigate to the file an access it. When I go to my AutoRecovery file through finder, I do not see the file name in question listed. However, if I have a new excel document open and hit "save as" the AutoRecovery file is the default folder being shown and I can select the file in question, to save over. I'm hoping the file still exists.

I have also tried searching the file name in Spotlight and it does not show up.

Any help is appreciated. I would rather not have to recreate this spreadsheet.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to re-create the spreadsheet. The Microsoft Auto Recovery is next to useless. Unless you selected "Always make a backup" in your Office 2011 preferences, your file is gone.

OP
A
Reaction score
That was my fear. I appreciate your response. Time to get to work recreating that doc....

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And personally ALWAYS save XL spreadsheets on the desktop.

Reaction score
Go to the finder, on the menu click "Go", press the option key and "Library" should appear. Click it. Once in the library folder, Application support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 Autorecovery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think they ngot it as this is now going on four years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.