Time Capsule libraries + away from home

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new in here, and this is my first post on the forum. I don't know if this is the right thread, but here we go:

I am considering buying a Time Capsule, and is currently trying to fully understand its capabilities before ordering it. I'm considering it mainly because of the wireless Time Machine backup function since my girlfriend is buying a MacBook as well, so we both thought of it as the easiest automatic backup solution. She's buying a MB Air, so eventually she will need additional disk space. I'm also running low on disk space, so of course I'm also gonna take advantage of the extra storage space offered by the TC. This is where my questions starts popping up:

1) Having just converted from iPhoto to Aperture, with a steadily growing library taking up space on my MB Pro, I wondered how it would work if I moved the library onto the TC. And what are the pros and cons of doing so (speed, organization, import, accessibility, etc.)?

2) What about iTunes library? (device synchronization, speed, accessibility, etc.)

3) I've read that it is possible to setup the TC as a server and make it accessible away from home. Any thoughts or experiences here?

So, this turned out to be a bit longer than expected, but I hope some of you Apple wizards can help me.

(P.S.: I have a 20/3 wi-fi connection)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.