Dead Pixels...

Reaction score
Hi,

During this week I bought a 23" Cinema Display. Today I realised that there are 2 dead pixels on the screen. I mean I dont notice them unless its on a completely black background. I never had this problem and I would like to know if its a big deal and if more pixels will die because the screen is defective? Should I change it? Will the shop take it back? Or this is not a big deal and no more pixels will die?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
I have a 20" Cinema Display and have 1 dead pixel in the top left, which has been dead (stuck? it stays green anyway lol)

Anyway, its been that way since I can remember, I've had the display for months and no more have died. I wouldn't call the screen "defective" as a lot of LCD's will have 1 or 2 dead pixels, and I doubt Apple would replace it!

If you can't see them during normal usage (I can't, as you said only notice it when the screen is completely black), It's not a big deal :)

OP
ldjalal
Reaction score
hollerz.mac said:
I have a 20" Cinema Display and have 1 dead pixel in the top left, which has been dead (stuck? it stays green anyway lol)

Anyway, its been that way since I can remember, I've had the display for months and no more have died. I wouldn't call the screen "defective" as a lot of LCD's will have 1 or 2 dead pixels, and I doubt Apple would replace it!

If you can't see them during normal usage (I can't, as you said only notice it when the screen is completely black), It's not a big deal :)

Yea it doesnt bother me at all, im just worried that it will spread (they are also green dots). But I also think that its normal for big screens to have a couple of dead pixels.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508retail.html

That link describes apple's supposed "inside" policy on these matters.

I personally wouldn't bother, 2 isn't really bad at all when you think about it.
You could try one of those programs that supposedly cure the problem by switching colours millions of times, but I'd just get on with things :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I actually think you can only fix 'stuck' pixels and not dead ones.

So if it stays one colour the whole time, you might be able to fix it. If it stays black - you're out of luck...

OP
ldjalal
Reaction score
For how long am I suppose to run this thing for? Or does it stop automatically?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.