Powerpoints different in Mac and PC

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why a powerpoint created in Mac with ghosted images is seen on a PC with images in the front as opposed to back and not ghosted?

C

chas_m

Because Microsoft is stupid? :)

Just to be certain, can you tell us what versions of PowerPoint you're using on the PC and the Mac? That should help us narrow down what the problem might be.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well the first answer made me laugh and I'd have to agree, but secondly, using 2008 on the Mac and 2010 on the PC I think. (PC not sure but pretty sure)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can anyone tell me why a powerpoint created in Mac with ghosted images is seen on a PC with images in the front as opposed to back and not ghosted?

How about defining what you mean by "ghosted images". I routinely receive Powerpoint files from users of Office 2010, 2007, and 2003 and haven't seen any differences with embedded images when I open them with Office 2011 for the Mac. Generally, Office files are interchangeable between the Mac and PC. At least I haven't run into anything unusual.

OP
N
Reaction score
We created the PPT on Mac, when we placed a Tiff image onto powerpoint page and adjust the transparency so that it will not interfere with the foreground and use the arrange function to make sure that the image is sent to the back, the transparency function seems to fail when the powerpoint is opened on a PC. the image that has been adjusted and sent to back is as if it is a front image and the transparency has not been adjusted. No idea why this is happening.

OP
N
Reaction score
PS---never had a problem before with cross-platform powerpoints, but then never tried this with images before either...actually try to stay away from microsoft as much as possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I see what you're referring to now. I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I can reproduce the problem. (I currently own both Office 2011 Mac and Office 2010 Windows.)

As I stated above, generally interchanging Office files between the Mac and Windows is fairly transparent. I'm sure there are probably some things that do not go cross platform, but believe me there isn't another Office suite that does as well, and that includes the iWork apps from Apple.

C

chas_m

Nview: does this happen if you use a different graphic format for the transparency? Are you running a compatibility check?

OP
N
Reaction score
we are using a tiff created from a jpeg, bringing in the image and then using the transparency feature of word---did not run a compatibility check, all the other images are as they should be and only the ones that we moved from "front to back" imaging and faded out through transparency function are consistently doing this

OP
N
Reaction score
I am wondering if we are missing a step in powerpoint that we should have done. We are used to doing this in indesign or other programs in terms of ghosting etc and we thought it straight-forward. Our saved version the image is exactly as we want it to be, just not that way when seen on the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
In general, if I'm putting layered (transparent) images in a ppt.. I create the image then add the completed one. Too often I've had someone open a ppt with some other application, and it looks like cr...ud..

OP
N
Reaction score
I get that, but if you want an image to be a background image and not the front image like a ghosted image is that possible with ppt?

C

chas_m

You mean like a background with a semi-transparent company logo or something akin to that? If so, just create that image in some other graphic program and add it to the template you're using. That way it is guaranteed to always be in the background of your slide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.