Mac Mini, AV Receiver, Apple TV

Reaction score
I am at my wits end. I have a Mac Mini, AVR with Airplay, HDTV, and ATV. But there are problems with every way that I try to connect them. They are close together, so no problem with distance. I can eliminate the ATV if it serves no purpose, because at present I am in a country with such slow internet service that streaming is not really an option--I just do like the interface. Can anyone PLEASE help me with setup? I am 65 and not a geek.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Should only be but one way - connect both the mini and the ATV to the HDMI input ports on the AVR and connect the AVR HDMI out to the TV HDMI in.

If the above is what you're doing, then probably should mention your problems.

For anything more specific, need to know:
1. You already have the adapter and cable to connect your mini to HDMI?
If not, which mini do you have - yr and CPU is preferred.

2. What is the make and model of the AVR? <-- preferable - or how many total and how many available HDMI input ports does it have?

3. What other devices are involved - cable or satellite, DVD or Blu-ray player etc.?

4. This TV does have HDMI ports?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but still not working. On AVR (Denon 1713) there are several HDMI inputs, but none seem to be for a computer (Cable/Blu-Ray/DVD/Game). There is one HDMI out. On the TV (new Samsung) there are several HDMI ports, plus others. The mini is the latest one. So all new equipment, but no sound at present thru the AVR.

So next suggestion?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need more information to properly assist. I am not so good at reading between the lines.

All devices are connected via HDMI to the Denon?
The Denon HDMI out is then connected to the TV?
None of the devices have any audio or only the mac mini?
You are getting the picture to the TV from all devices?

Which mac mini do you have - what is the CPU speed and what version of OS X?

(The names Denon has put on the HDMI ports has absolutely no bearing on what may be connected to them - those names are merely an idiots guide for the most commonly connected devices allowing connection without renaming the inputs via the internal menu. Any HDMI compatible device may be connected to any HDMI input. For the mac mini, just pick one of them that you are not using for something else - it does not matter what Denon named it.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for helping. I have a late 2012 Mini, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB Ram, 1TB. I only have 2 HDMI cords at present. I was connecting the ATV with Toslink, but now it's disconnected. When I connect 1 HDMI from Mini to Denon (using any of those ports, as you suggested), and then 1 HDMI to TV, I get no picture on TV, so I cannot check sound at all. When I had ATV connected, I had such a hassle trying to go back and forth to get sound correct, that I finally gave up. Thus the request. Forgive me for making you read between the lines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heading out to work - if no one else pops in, will be back with some specific suggestions in 10-12 hours.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am "assuming" you have already connected your speakers to the Denon and gone through the Denon 'Setup Assistant', the Audyssey setup and the speakers were all working properly. And the Denon info is displayed on the TV screen - yes???

Connect 1 cable from the Denon HDMI Out / Monitor to the TV HDMI # 1
Connect the other cable from the mac mini to the Denon HDMI In / Game port.
Turn on the Mac, the TV and the Denon.
Pick up the TV remote and press the Input button until it is set to HDMI # 1.
Pick up the Denon remote and press the Game input button.

Is your Mac screen on the TV?

OP
A
Reaction score
Is the connection to the ATV necessary for the setup to work? Could I not just eliminate the ATV for now and hook up TV, AVR, and Mini?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you only have 2 HDMI cables...

it is not possible for you to connect 2 devices to the Denon and the Denon to the TV - all at the same time. Therefore, my instructions above which do not mention the ATV.

If you want, you can connect the ATV instead of the Mac per the above.

Am only attempting to get one device working for you. Once that is done, the process is exactly the same for every other device you connect to the Denon.

OP
A
Reaction score
It Works!

Thank you so much!

Now, just to understand this. I cannot hook up the ATV at the same time as the Mini, correct? If I were to hook up the ATV, it would be in place of the Mini?

I appreciate your patience and thank you again for helping me thus far.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be correct.

If you go buy another HDMI cable, you can connect them both at the same time.

One of the 2 cables you have right now has to attach between the Denon and the TV.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I was premature--I adjusted some settings that seemed right, and now I have no video. I have again tried everything and...nothing. I have an HDMI from the Mini to the DVD input. I have another HDMI from the output port to the HDTV. And nothing. The only way I can write this is to disconnect the HDMI from the AVR and attach it to the HDTV. But then there is no sound.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I was premature--I adjusted some settings that seemed right, and now I have no video.

Does that mean you did have video before you adjusted some settings?

I have again tried everything and...nothing. I have an HDMI from the Mini to the DVD input.
Did you pick up the Denon remote and press the DVD input key?
And look at the Denon screen to see if it was showing the DVD input?
You must press the key on the Denon remote that matches the HDMI input where the device you want to use is plugged in.

I have another HDMI from the output port to the HDTV. And nothing.
Did you also pick up the TV remote and select the input you have the AVR attached to?

OP
A
Reaction score
Does that mean you did have video before you adjusted some settings?

Yes, but I had only stereo, not surround. You mentioned earlier that you assumed I had run thru the Denon setup, which I had not. So I did that and then had the problem.

Did you pick up the Denon remote and press the DVD input key?

Yes.

And look at the Denon screen to see if it was showing the DVD input?

Yes.

You must press the key on the Denon remote that matches the HDMI input where the device you want to use is plugged in.

I did.

Did you also pick up the TV remote and select the input you have the AVR attached to?

Yes, I did. I assume that there are some settings that I have not done correctly. I don't expect you to know all about the Denon settings, but any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Apple does such a good job of making these things user-friendly and I do hope that someday they come out with a TV.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are only going to get 2 channel sound when you are watching/listening to a source that only has 2 channel audio. 2 channels in - 2 channels out. The Denon is going to reproduce what comes in unless you elect to use one of the sound modes via the Movie - Music - Game mode buttons.

Sounds like you are using the TV as the monitor for your Mac. If so, would recommend you get another HDMI cable. Just keep the mac on the TV for the time being. Connect the ATV to the AVR and work on getting that working instead of moving cables around all the time.

Don't have a clue what button you would have pressed that would have caused the video to stop except by switching to another input on the Denon.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.