Will i need to take my macbook apart?

Reaction score
Recently in the last couple of months when charging my 2012 macbook pro, it's been getting really hot all over when i've been using it (its fine when its charging and the lid is down)
do you think that the fans are abit clogged up with dust? if so, whats the best way to get rid of it? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It would probably be best to tell us what the temps are. It's very possible the temps you are experiencing are normal (it has happened before).

If you don't know your temps...download & install:

Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro

Then let us know your temps.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Recently in the last couple of months when charging my 2012 macbook pro, it's been getting really hot all over when i've been using it (its fine when its charging and the lid is down)
do you think that the fans are abit clogged up with dust? if so, whats the best way to get rid of it? :)

Hi ClarkeFace - well a new MBP owner (March '13) myself - first, I would not think that your fans would have 'clogged' in that period of time under normal operating circumstances. Second, if you are still under warranty (Apple Care), I would use an Apple store or an authorized dealer. Finally, do you have any monitoring apps on the laptop? If not your might want to consider one - I'm using iStats Menus - one menu will provide information on internal temps and also fan speeds. Good luck - :)

OP
C
Reaction score
usually the max temperature is for the GPU Diode, which can go to around 73 degrees celcius.

I've also notice a decrease in battery life (by a couple of hours) had it 1 year, and its had 300 cycles.

Does keeping it plugged in while using it (after 100% charge) do any damage? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
usually the max temperature is for the GPU Diode, which can go to around 73 degrees celcius.

I've also notice a decrease in battery life (by a couple of hours) had it 1 year, and its had 300 cycles.

Hi again - leaving the battery plugged in will not damage your computer - protective circuits and management are built into this technology; however, doing so will likely not prolong the life span of a lithium ion battery if that is your intended goal - for some more information, take a look HERE - I'm 'giradman' in that forum and my post #9 (along w/ the other posters) might be of interest - good luck. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This is on the warmer side...but not really something outside of norms.

Battery life (runtime on a single full charge)...depends greatly on what is being done on the computer.

No. I do it all the time.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
This is on the warmer side...but not really something outside of norms.

Battery life (runtime on a single full charge)...depends greatly on what is being done on the computer.

No. I do it all the time.

- Nick

Thanks, is there anyway to find out what is using the most battery at a certain time? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, is there anyway to find out what is using the most battery at a certain time? :)

It's probably easier to know what things use a lot of battery power:

- display brightness high
- having a DVD/CD spinning in the optical drive
- watching videos/internet videos
- most gaming
- applications that are heavy on graphics/video

So if you're trying to maximize the amount of time you get when running the computer off battery power...try to minimize these activities. Do these things when you have the computer plugged in.

An even easier way to know that the computer is using/needing a lot of energy...when it starts getting warm/hot...and the fans are running fast enough to hear.

- Nick

C

chas_m

In addition to Nick's excellent list, I'll just add that leaving Bluetooth on when its not needed can help drain the battery. (this advice is still valid today, but in a couple of years when BT 4.0 is more widespread it will be irrelevant)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I'll just add that leaving Bluetooth on when its not needed can help drain the battery.

Good addition to the list. Since I usually don't use any bluetooth devices...turning off bluetooth is one of the first things I do when I setup one of my "new to me" laptops.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.