Airport Express Problems with Flashing Amber Light?!?!

Reaction score
I had to replace me Airport Express with a new model. Well I hooked everything up and it appeared to work fine, but had an amber flashing light. I do have internet on my iMac and the Wifi is working fine.

I have a DSL service from Verizon. I connect the Verizon router to my Airport Express and am getting my internet service wirelessly to my iMac. I know the network is working because i am using it for my iPone, iPad and i can send a print command and print wirelessly.

Why am I still getting a flashing amber light on the Airport device??? Why is the Airport Utility telling me my status is: that my ethernet is unplugged, my Airport base has no valid IP address, and Device has no DNS service addresses???

Help please.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A flashing amber means that the Airport Express is unhappy or something is out of whack. You might want to do a factory reset and then update the firmware on it to the latest one and re-configure it and see if the problem persists..

The used AE that I got began doing this and then eventually just failed..

OP
R
Reaction score
A flashing amber means that the Airport Express is unhappy or something is out of whack. You might want to do a factory reset and then update the firmware on it to the latest one and re-configure it and see if the problem persists..

The used AE that I got began doing this and then eventually just failed..

Well this is a brand new device so unless it is a factory defect, I don't know. I tried everything and I can't get this light to go green. Don't know anything about firmware and where to get it. There was an update for my mt. lion and I took care to update it. I have reconfigure the device and no go.

Still isn't working as it should. If I remember right, I had this same problem a few years ago with the last unit. What the **** is the problem with Apple, are we not paying enough for these over priced products???? Sorry, it just seems nothing wants to work with these Apple products since I decided to switch from MS!!!!! thought I was doing a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Whar are your settings in Airport Utility?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you launch Airport Utility and it sees the AE and has an update, it will tell you about it and ask you to update..other than that, a factory reset might do something..or perhaps you do have a defective unit..you might try getting it replaced at your local Apple store..

Reaction score
Just a hunch... you have an Airport (router) connected to a Verizon router? Maybe it's upset because it can't actually see the internet, only the other router?
No expert, just guessing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Just a hunch... you have an Airport (router) connected to a Verizon router? Maybe it's upset because it can't actually see the internet, only the other router?
No expert, just guessing.

Good guess. It could be a conflict between the two, but I did have another AE connected before the surge killed it.

Not sure what you mean by settings. As I explained in my earlier post, I get three errors and that is all. I have done everything the book and on line suggestions noted and it still will not go green. Right now it works, but no green light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple has a list of all the things the flashing amber light means, including a possible firmware update.

OP
R
Reaction score
Apple has a list of all the things the flashing amber light means, including a possible firmware update.

Thanks, but been there and done it all. The firmware is current on my machine, so I'm good there also. Still perplexed!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Good guess. It could be a conflict between the two, but I did have another AE connected before the surge killed it.

Not sure what you mean by settings.

If you open Airport Utility (it's in the utilities folder in your applications) then click on the image of you AE then click edit, you will see a screen with a number of tabs. Check what your connect using settings are in the internet tab and also what your router mode settings are in the network tab.

OP
R
Reaction score
Nicky, when I click on the airport app icon the only thing that comes up is a Airport Utility box with a globe with internet, which is green then a line to an icon of an airport unit with a blinking amber light on the left side and a red ball with a number 3 in it. There is no edit tabs. Am I doing something wrong?

OP
R
Reaction score
Disregard last!!!

the connect Using is DHCP

I found my problem and fixed it. I had to create a new network and it is all green and working now.

Thanks to everyone for any and all help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
glad you got it sorted:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.