Best home (i.e. budget) color laser printer

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have an Epson Workforce 610 all-in-one that offers all the features I need except it constantly drops the wifi connection (always when the wife wants to print), the ink needs replacing constantly, and the print heads need frequent cleaning. All a great pain in the ^$$.

Looking for a more robust solution. Reviews are fine, but none address if they are Mac compatible (many aren't I'm learning).

So, I need color, wifi, reliable, budget (both up front and recurring ink). I'd like to look at laser printers as they should solve the clogged print head issue and they are a lot quieter.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Ird - I went through the same process a few months ago after transitioning from PCs to Apple (new MBP & iMac) - now I've been using printers since 1980 (an Epson dot matrix on an Apple II+) - debated between a MF inkjet vs. MF color laser - for me, none of the many reviews seem to 'swing the scale' - even the cost of cartridges was confusing (decided that it was a wash) - SO, just went w/ another inkjet - purchased the Canon MX922 below from a local office chain (on sale for about $130) - have it attached to the iMac via USB, but w/ the built-in Wi-Fi AirPrint, I can print from my MBP in the den - can be setup as just a Wi-Fi printer or w/ an ethernet cable - still slow to startup printing & the cartridges are expensive - these companies seem to have us 'by the b**ls'. But, works for us - good luck and let us know you decision. Dave :)

Canon-MX922-Wireless-Office-All-In-One-Printer-002.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you're prepared to spend $$$ on color laser consumables, I would pass on any color laser printer. We purchased a Dell color laser for our church and found out rather quickly what the cost of the replacement laser toner cartridges were. The Dell uses 4 toner cartridges at the cost of $90 each. And when you have a congregation that loves to print in color, we very quickly had to lock it up and make it available for staff only.

I have no idea what other color laser printers would run as far as consumables, but I suspect they'll be similar to the Dell.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes sadly...consumables for color laser printers still remain very expensive.

Heck...even to replace all the ink cartridges for an ink-jet printer isn't cheap. But color laser printer consumables are a WHOLE different "ballgame".

- Nick

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Thanks. There used to be web pages that reported cost per page but I can't seem to find one of those anymore.

However, when you consider how many of my ink cartridges go dry through non-use, I'm thinking that dry toner cartridges may be a better deal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. There used to be web pages that reported cost per page but I can't seem to find one of those anymore.

However, when you consider how many of my ink cartridges go dry through non-use, I'm thinking that dry toner cartridges may be a better deal...

Hi again Ird - there are still plenty of those cost comparisons available - just google 'costs of printing per page' - HERE'S ONE - considerable overlap as I found a few months ago looking for a printer.

I've not had a problem w/ inkjet cartridges 'drying out' but my wife uses ink so fast - ;P

The only issue that I have had w/ those cartridges is buying 're-filled' ones - several clogged and I had to discard the entire batch - yes cheaper to start but 'more expensive' in the long run, I guess - good luck in your choice. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you don't print that often (cartridges drying up)...instead of investing in a printer...just go to a local Fed Ex store or other "Office Superstore" to do your printing.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another important point - though color lasers produce excellent color business documents, one place they always fall short is in photo printing - and in particular, printing to photo paper. A good inkjet will always produce better photos than even the best color lasers, just by virtue of the technology that they use.

If you're mostly printing stuff to plain paper, then a laser will be a good, albeit expensive, solution. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only issue that I have had w/ those cartridges is buying 're-filled' ones - several clogged and I had to discard the entire batch - yes cheaper to start but 'more expensive' in the long run, I guess - good luck in your choice. Dave

I went through a batch of on line suppliers before I found several who sold refilled cartridges that were of good quality. I use refilled cartridges in both my Epson and Canon color all in one printers and thus far have never had a problem with clogged jets or dried up ink.

The Epson printer will issue a warning when sensing a refilled cartridge and ask if you wish to use it; the Canon is a bit more fussy though. I buy refilled cartridges for the Canon that contain the Canon chip in order to use the Canon ink sensing and head cleaning utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I went through a batch of on line suppliers before I found several who sold refilled cartridges that were of good quality. I use refilled cartridges in both my Epson and Canon color all in one printers and thus far have never had a problem with clogged jets or dried up ink.

The Epson printer will issue a warning when sensing a refilled cartridge and ask if you wish to use it; the Canon is a bit more fussy though. I buy refilled cartridges for the Canon that contain the Canon chip in order to use the Canon ink sensing and head cleaning utilities.

I just refill my own. The toner is MUCH cheaper. It is, however, somewhat of a pain (at least the first couple times).

We stopped using inkjets because they just dry up here in the desert. The color laser is great for general color printing, but for photos.. I actually send those out to pro labs, even though I do have a small dye sub.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We stopped using inkjets because they just dry up here in the desert.

I can definitely see the low desert humidity accelerating this.

- Nick

Reaction score
Yall know I have 4 color lasers ...all from thrift stores..one came off the curb. Thats the Samsung clp 300n. It works great and the toners are now getting cheap. If you can find the right drivers look for an older laser printer..over time the toner prices go down, If you do photos youll need a good ink jet or send them out to be done.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have never had good luck with a color inkjet printer, regardless of the source for my cartridges. So, I have two solutions for my printing needs:

1) Monochrome Laser - easily the cheapest per page printing device
2) Online photo printing - I can print a lot of photos for the price of a printer. And, realistically, most photos only ever see electronic display

EDIT: FWIW we only use color lasers now at work and they perform very well, except not really photo quality. Have no idea on the cost of consumables

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) Monochrome Laser - easily the cheapest per page printing device
2) Online photo printing - I can print a lot of photos for the price of a printer. And, realistically, most photos only ever see electronic display

This is also what we do. I can buy refilled toner cartridges for my HP LaserJet at a 50% discount compared to what HP charges.

For photo printing, we use Walgreens on line. Maybe not a very elegant method but the results have always been satisfactory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For photo printing, we use Walgreens on line. Maybe not a very elegant method but the results have always been satisfactory.

Plenty of options for non-home photo printing - for the past year or so, I've been using AdoramaPix - easy to upload larger digital images, some basic editing features online, and decent pricing - AND, having ordered a couple dozen 8"x10" photos, the quality has been quite good. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.